China 2013 Day 1


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Ottawa
October 15th 2013
Published: October 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Vi & I are the first of our group to arrive at the Ottawa airport--which is a first in itself. We meet up with our tour director, Ling, who is there to see us off. Check-in, security and so forth all go smoothly, and we have an uneventful first leg to Toronto's Pearson. There we walk the million miles from Air Canada terminal's D wing to E wing to board our AC direct flight to Beijing.

Our plane is a Boeing 777 and it's full. Lots of fun trying to get everyone's carry-ons safely stowed. All the announcements are in English, French and Chinese. Finally we are on our way.

I've never experienced a 14-hour flight before. It's long. I make it a rule to get up every three hours or so to restart the circulation. We have the requisite fussy 2-year-old close by. We keep thinking that he will run out of steam and crash but he shows great stamina. I've brought my Bose noise-cancelling headphones with me, and they are amazing; not only do they produce fantastic sound from the in-flight entertainment system, but they block out most of the ambient noise and the infant's caterwauling. I read and listen to music (classical and jazz) and finally get to watch The Hobbit. Definitely padded and a little too much Pirates of the Caribbean, but an enjoyable romp nonetheless. Some fitful sleep, but not much.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0334s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1003.4kb