You Oughta Do Ottawa


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Ottawa
August 31st 2013
Published: September 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

1000 Islands to Ottawa


We sadly said goodbye to the 1000 Islands and Tannis and Ken, our hosts at the Riverview Bed and Breakfast. They outdid themselves with pastries, eggs, bacon, fruit, juices and good coffee for breakfast. We enjoyed the other guests, a young couple from Alexandria, VA. I forgot to mention in my blog yesterday that 1000 Island salad dressing originated in this area. The chef at that big castle on an island got the recipe from a local lady and popularized it at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in NY. I now have the original recipe and I will make it for my Prescott friends. I've also added the recipe on a photo on the previous blog. By the way, Prescott is a big name here. The town of Prescott is near here and there are lots of stores, roads, etc. with Prescott in the name.

But back to today, if you haven't already been here, you really ought to see Ottawa, Ontario, the capitol of this fine country. It was a short drive here this morning and we spent the day walking at least five miles and seeing the Parliament buildings, enjoying several hours in the highly esteemed Museum of Civilization, visiting the outdoor market, and having lunch at a delightful outdoor cafe. This weekend is not only Labor Day, but also what they call "Residents Day," the day that the students move into their college dormitories. The city was bustling with students and their parents, lots of live music on the streets and happy people, another fun day. These cities are all pretty close together so it's easy to hit them all.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Leaving GananoqueLeaving Gananoque
Leaving Gananoque

Tannis and Ken were great hosts at the Riverview B&B
View from Parliament HillView from Parliament Hill
View from Parliament Hill

We walked from Parliament Hill over the Alexandria Bridge to the Museum of Civilization, the building in the back.
Judy having a cup of tea with the ladies.Judy having a cup of tea with the ladies.
Judy having a cup of tea with the ladies.

Note the little finger is in the proper position.
Judy in ChairJudy in Chair
Judy in Chair

I have no idea why I am sitting here or what this statue represents.
Women are PersonsWomen are Persons
Women are Persons

Redefining the definition of "person" in the Canada law.
Fairmont Chateau Laurier HotelFairmont Chateau Laurier Hotel
Fairmont Chateau Laurier Hotel

Next to the Parliament buildings and so nice inside. Hotel staff treated us well when we gawked around inside.
Rideau CanalRideau Canal
Rideau Canal

This canal runs through Ottawa. People ice skate on it in winter, would love to see that.
Museum of CivilizationMuseum of Civilization
Museum of Civilization

What a first class place! We like museums that guide you through sections, not so overwhelming this way. The northwestern Canada section made us ex-Alaskans feel at home.
Museum of CivilizationMuseum of Civilization
Museum of Civilization

Breathtaking sculptures in this place.
Museum of CivilizationMuseum of Civilization
Museum of Civilization

The ceiling...gorgeous.
Museum of CivilizationMuseum of Civilization
Museum of Civilization

This is the French part of the history floor.
Museum of CivilizationMuseum of Civilization
Museum of Civilization

I'm in the French section.
Museum of CivilizationMuseum of Civilization
Museum of Civilization

Joe in the Saskatchewan section.


1st September 2013

Wow!
I'm convinced that Ken Burns will be ready to do a TV series entitled 'Americans Travel'. And Canada could pay your way because your photos and captions are tops in advertising Canada.
1st September 2013

Beautiful City!
I do want to go there. Y'all look great!

Tot: 0.225s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 13; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0871s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb