1000 Islands


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Gananoque
August 31st 2013
Published: August 31st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Riverview Bed and BreakfastRiverview Bed and BreakfastRiverview Bed and Breakfast

You kind of have to bend your neck a bit to see the river.
We stayed at Radisson Suites last night in Toronto, checked in near midnight after all our night-time fun. Slept too late this morning and didn't get going until ten. We've learned to grab good coffee at the Tim Horton chain fast food places...quick, and cheap.

We arrived at Gananoque in the early afternoon and what a sweet little town it is. We are here because it is one of the centers of activity for the Thousand Islands, one of the major stops of this trip. We are staying at the Riverview Bed and Breakfast, the couple that own it are fun and intelligent and our room is comfortable with a jacuzzi tub. There are only three rooms in the house and they are all full tonight. We will meet everyone tomorrow at breakfast.

There are really over 1800 islands in the Thousand Island area. These islands are all in the St. Lawrence Seaway and this is one giant playground for many of the rich and famous. (We are lucky to get to see it.) We ate soup for lunch and had a beer at the very picturesque Gananoque Inn. We took a 3 1/2 hour cruise through the islands
Gananoque InnGananoque InnGananoque Inn

Good vegetable/barley soup for lunch and a Toronto brewed Whistlestop beer.
and are glad we did. We learned a lot about the history of the St. Lawrence Seaway and feel we got a feel for what this place is all about. We crossed back into USA waters today for a while. The Thousand Lake area is usually covered in a fog or mist so we were glad that it was somewhat clear today. I took dozens of photos of every island house I saw that I wanted for my own but will bore you with only a few. Of course, these houses wouldn't be so enticing in the winter months.

After the cruise we ate dinner at an Irish Pub. We had Irish Meatloaf! Imagine this...ground beef and lamb wrapped in bacon, cooked to perfection on garlic mashed potatoes covered in delicious gravy topped with onion rings. It was amazing. We couldn't eat it all so we have leftovers ready for lunch tomorrow.

I am in bed as I write this, the window is open and the curtains are billowing from the cool breeze from the seaway. Joe's been watching his radar weather application on his phone and says that we should be hearing thunder from a large front
1000 Islands1000 Islands1000 Islands

View from our table at the Gananoque Inn.
that is heading our way and to be sure to close the window when the rain starts. I will, Joe.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

1000 Islands1000 Islands
1000 Islands

Our cruise boat for the 1000 Islands tour.
1000 Islands1000 Islands
1000 Islands

Some islands are very small with small homes.
1000 Islands1000 Islands
1000 Islands

Some islands have lighthouses.
1000 Islands1000 Islands
1000 Islands

Some islands are big with lots of homes.
1000 Islands1000 Islands
1000 Islands

Some islands are big with one big home.
1000 Islands1000 Islands
1000 Islands

Some islands are so big you can't see the one home.
1000 Islands1000 Islands
1000 Islands

Some islands are small with one big home.
1000 Islands1000 Islands
1000 Islands

And one island has a 120 room castle on it. This is Boldt Castle and there's a tragic love story behind it all.
1000 Islands1000 Islands
1000 Islands

One island holds one amazing boathouse for the Boldt Castle.
1000 Islands1000 Islands
1000 Islands

More of the Boldt Castle island (Heart Island).
1000 Islands1000 Islands
1000 Islands

Two islands are connected by the world's smallest international bridge. (Canada and USA).
GananoqueGananoque
Gananoque

The Catholic Church and some boathouses.
The Dreaded Debit MachineThe Dreaded Debit Machine
The Dreaded Debit Machine

In Canada when it comes time to pay your dinner bill, the waiter brings you a little machine and you follow the instructions on the screen after you swipe your card. All the machines are different and it's taking us a while to get used to it.
Riverview B & BRiverview B & B
Riverview B & B

Joe's doing a little work in the kitchen.
Riverview B & BRiverview B & B
Riverview B & B

The dining room.
GananoqueGananoque
Gananoque

The clock tower.
GananoqueGananoque
Gananoque

City Hall.
1000 Island Salad Dressing1000 Island Salad Dressing
1000 Island Salad Dressing

The cruise boat gave this out. Was created by a local and popularized by the Boldt Castle Chef.


31st August 2013

Aren't you glad you are retired?!!!
Traveling is so much fun. Love your pictures. Wish I could remember the name of the B & B we stayed in on Prince Edward Island. It was great. Met Tammy and her twin and mother there and had dinner together in a Anne of Green Gables place. Food not impressive. Prince Edward Is did not impress us nearly as much as Nova Scotia. Spent a week in both. A week is too long in PE Is. Great food in N.S., but I got sick on some water I had...news report and papers reported it so I knew it was not just me. Never the less, it is one of our favorite places. I am envious of your wonderful trip plans. Enjoy.
31st August 2013

1000 Islands
Love your photos and comments. Sounds like your trip is all you've hoped and planned for. Of course we hope you'll tell us the 'tragic love story' about the castle when you get home if not before. Donna
1st September 2013

Tragic love story
The builder of this castle was named Boldt and made his millions through the Waldorf Astoria Hotel. He built this castle to show his love for his young wife who died while it was being built, four years into the process. Boldt telegrammed the builders and told them to stop building and he never went back to the island.
31st August 2013

How beautiful! The weather sounds lovely, just the kind to curl up on a front porch and watch it come in. I didn't know there were that many islands-
1st September 2013

1000 Island Dressing
Since I'm French illiterate, would you translate for us when you're back in Prescott? AZ of course.
1st September 2013

Recipe
I'm laughing at myself on this one. This is the one they gave me on the boat. I showed it to Joe and said I wished they had it in English. Then Joe retrieved one that had English and French on the back (mine had only French). Then, I took a photo of the wrong one. I'll take another photo tomorrow of the English one. I love the photo of sleepy Liam that Kaycie put on FB. Adorable.
1st September 2013

I000 Islands
Reminds me a little of the North Shore of Minnesota and also Rainy Lake in MN on the Canadian border. I loved the little islands with one house. Imagine going everywhere by boat! In the winter you can use a sled across the ice and summer a boat but spring and fall neither would work. Glad you are having fun.

Tot: 0.247s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 63; dbt: 0.1276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb