Niagara On The Lake, Ontario, Canada


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Niagara-On-The-Lake
July 11th 2013
Published: July 28th 2013
Edit Blog Post

This highly recommended town at the mouth of the Niagara River on Lake Ontario deserves its lovely reputation. Within an easy (less than 30 minute) drive from Niagara Falls, this Victorian village of upscale boutiques, great restaurants, historic touches, and incredible streetscape plantings make it a visual and culinary delight for all ages.



History buffs can bone up on their War of 1912.

Oenophiles can sip away at the many nearby vineyards.

Theatre buffs will love the GBS Festival.

Thrill-seekers can get real wet on a jet boat ride into the rapids of the Niagara River.

The concierge at the Radisson in Niagara Falls recommended Corks for lunch while we were visiting Niagara on the Lake. I was perfect for the family; pubby clubby atmosphere, tasty food, great service. There is a pretty, enclosed patio; but on this sweltering day; it was AC for us.

Shoppers can follow Wes's lead. He bought Beth a great dress in one of the boutiques. We also loved the candy stores and came out with ice cream, fudge, and maple leaf shaped bottles of maple syrup!

We will return for wine tasting and tours of the
Centrally Located Corks For LunchCentrally Located Corks For LunchCentrally Located Corks For Lunch

A bunch of "corkers" having lunch at corks right on the main drag in Niagara on the Lake. Suited us just fine; but there were tons of other choices. Save room for dessert at one of the many gelato or ice cream shops along the downtown area.
botanical gardens on the way to Niagara on the Lake from Niagara Falls.

Lots of reasons and no excuses --- don't miss Niagara on the Lake.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Viv With the NY RegimentalsViv With the NY Regimentals
Viv With the NY Regimentals

These re-enactors from the US represented an invasion by our side during the War of 1812. We lost this one!
Beth at Sweet ShopBeth at Sweet Shop
Beth at Sweet Shop

Fudge, home made chocolates, gelato and ice cream shoppes abound in the village of Niagara-On-The-Lake!
George Bernard ShawGeorge Bernard Shaw
George Bernard Shaw

Hey Pygmalion fans, there's a Shaw Festival here during most of the summer!
The Ladies of 1813The Ladies of 1813
The Ladies of 1813

We got an explanation of the War of 1812 from the lady to Vivian's left! She offered quite an earful!
Main Street Scene NOTL!Main Street Scene NOTL!
Main Street Scene NOTL!

Lots of references to George Bernard Shaw and four theatres tied into the annual Shaw Festival.
Fancy Dog Dish Fancy Dog Dish
Fancy Dog Dish

Can you say "Posh Pups?"
Family On the RocksFamily On the Rocks
Family On the Rocks

Tricia and Tom went to school at SUNY Oswego so they liked introducing the kids to Lake Ontario!
Jet Boat in the Gorge From N.O.T. L.Jet Boat in the Gorge From N.O.T. L.
Jet Boat in the Gorge From N.O.T. L.

We didn't take this thrill ride. It takes a very skilled captain to negotiate these rapids!
Whirlpool Aero CarWhirlpool Aero Car
Whirlpool Aero Car

We stopped here on our way back to Niagara Falls from NOTL!


28th July 2013

Ontario
Looks like you are having a great time.
29th July 2013

Great time!
Oh, yes, great time was had by all! Thanks for noticing. Still didn't post the big blog - about Niagara Falls, Ontario! Stay tuned - so wonderful!
29th July 2013

I sampled to wine there a few years ago...
was surprised that they had such good wine in Canada until I was told that Niagara on the Lake was at the same latitude as Rome, Italy.

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0722s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb