Frank Lloyd Wright's Graycliff


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York
July 11th 2013
Published: July 24th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Graycliff at 6472 Old Lake Shore Road, Derby NY is the realization of Frank Lloyd Wright's ideal of a "Natural House" built of indigenous materials and integrated into the landscape (on a steep cliff overlooking Lake Erie). The restoration of the c. 1927-1930 summer home is still in progress. Wes and I always love to hear “saved from the developer’s claws;” and such was the case here when a group of citizens rescued the home in 1999. Bravo grassroots preservation efforts!





When Frank Lloyd Wright designed Graycliff, Isabelle Martin, was the “client of record.” This was 1930, a time when the concept of a female working with an architect was almost unheard of. Despite her title as client of record and despite that Mrs. Martin had her own ideas; it is evident, as with most all FLW properties that "he himself" was in charge. But when the home was finished, Isabelle and Darwin Martin loved it. The lakeside summer retreat was ideal for entertaining friends and extended family, which included grandchildren. Isabel continued to summer at Graycliff beyond her husband’s death in 1935; finally leaving until 1942.

NOTE: There will be more photos after the
Windows Set "Double Stone" Windows Set "Double Stone" Windows Set "Double Stone"

This technique is rare and costly; but oh that outside sill is to die for!
"jump!"







Graycliff is less than a half hour to get to from Isabelle’s Wright designed home Buffalo. She was said to just about "hate" the Wright home that she and Darwin shared in Buffalo. Her point is well taken as Graycliff is decidedly brighter and more open than the darkly macho downtown Martin complex which I visited with Zita and Amy a few years ago. Graycliff is a bit reminiscent of Fallingwater, which we have visited, and is said to be similar to Wright's own home at Taliesin, which we have not been to yet.





Guided tours of Graycliff are by reservation only. There are various tours available. We signed up for the standard tour of the grounds and ground floor only ($15/each no senior discount). It was our good fortune to be the sole customers for our docent, Melissa, who really knows her FLW facts!





Since we had to wait for our tour time and since we were hungry; we decided to bide our time by grabbing Sunday breakfast (at the suggestion of the clerk in the gift shop) at Cala's Kitchen,
Graycliff From the Lake Erie SideGraycliff From the Lake Erie SideGraycliff From the Lake Erie Side

The garden restoration is in progress. Actually the entire home is in active restoration; if you want to see it complete and furnished; donate to the Graycliff Convervancy and wait a few years.
6888 Erie Rd., Derby, NY. This place was hopping with locals and to be candid was the highlight of Wes's morning. Back at Gray Cliff, we enjoyed poking around in the Gift Shop with its great selection of books, jewelry, and home decor items priced well with a discount to patrons and members. After the tour we headed toward the Finger Lakes and New York State’s wine country. Nearby Buffalo has its lure and is really making strides with events and redevelopment of its central downtown area. We’ll try to spend some time there next trip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Indigenous Rocks Indigenous Rocks
Indigenous Rocks

FLW insisted that any of the rocks, which were all quarried locally, be positioned with their rusty sides showing!
The Adirondack Mound & GarageThe Adirondack Mound & Garage
The Adirondack Mound & Garage

Isabelle Martin had summered in the Adirondacks prior to building Graycliff. She wanted an "Adirondack Mound" FLW wanted a reflecting pool. Here is Isabelle's Adirondack Mound!
Volunteers Hand Dipped the ShinglesVolunteers Hand Dipped the Shingles
Volunteers Hand Dipped the Shingles

Tremendous research was done to determine the exact color of the original shingles and during the restoration, volunteers hand dipped them before they were applied to the roof.
Stairway to Lake Erie Stairway to Lake Erie
Stairway to Lake Erie

After all, it was build on a cliff - so here is how Graycliff dwellers got down to the beach! The "bridge" from the land to the top landing eroded away!
Surprise!  Gutters on a FLW BuildingSurprise!  Gutters on a FLW Building
Surprise! Gutters on a FLW Building

Occasionally a client or practical convention won out against Frank Lloyd Wright's theories! Amazed to see gutters at Graycliff!
Diamond ThemeDiamond Theme
Diamond Theme

Graycliff has a diamond theme as evidenced by these flag stones and several of the home's windows.
From The KitchenFrom The Kitchen
From The Kitchen

Photography isn't allowed in the house; this is a view from the kitchen to a back porch where the Martins often had cocktails or dinner. It is on the more protected leeward side but one would miss the sunsets from this site!


Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0576s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb