On to Ontario!


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Niagara Falls
August 28th 2013
Published: August 28th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Detroit to Niagara Falls


Additional maps: Detroit to Niagara Falls

Aug. 26, 2013

Grateful for Shuttle-U in Prescott that picked us up at our home and delivered us to the Best Western at the airport in Phoenix. Nice to be able to leave the car in our garage and not worry about it being parked at the airport for six weeks. We were up at the ridiculous hour of 3 AM for our uneventful, almost comfortable flights to Charlotte, NC, and Detroit, MI. We stayed at the Four Points Sheraton in Romulus, MI which was filled with airline personnel and the four friendly people on our shuttle to the hotel were all from Phoenix and one guy grew up in Prescott. His last name was "Fain," a name that is well known to my Prescott readers. We searched Trip Advisor and found the #1 rated restaurant in Romulus is "Beirut" (Lebanese food, surprise, surprise) and a five minute walk from the hotel. After my first Lebanese meal I can say, "It tastes Greek to me."

Aug. 27, 2013

Up early again today to pick up our upgraded rental car, a lovely Ford Fusion with 10,000 miles on it and then we were off to Ontario. It took us about two minutes to cross the border near Sarnia, Ontario, we showed our passports and that was it. It has taken us longer to get through the agricultural checkpoints in California. In Sarnia, we purchased a sim card for our phone so we can use the internet while in the car to make reservations and more importantly, so we are able to use the GPS on the phone. We walked along the St. Clair Riverfront and made a quick stop at Lake Huron, a first for both of us. Now we are at the Rex Motel in Niagara Falls. It's a small place run by a Bulgarian couple that are grateful and proud to be living in Canada. The wife gave us fresh baked Bulgarian pastries and spent 15 minutes helping us plan our visit here and on into Quebec. This place is charming and super clean, it needs a different name.

If you want to see larger images you can click on them. I don't recommend it for these photos, none are special.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

St. Clair River, Sarnia, Ont.St. Clair River, Sarnia, Ont.
St. Clair River, Sarnia, Ont.

Flags of all the provinces and lots of flowers.


28th August 2013

Top of the tower
Should you go back to Niagara in Canada go up the tower to the restaurant for the view Amazing and at night time the falls in color are very impressive. Looking forward to your trip blog. Lois
31st August 2013

Thanks, Lois.
We won't be heading back to Niagara Falls. We thought about eating in the tower restaurant, guess we should have. We are headed toward Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec City. Any advice for those places would be appreciated. You know we make our plans day by day.
28th August 2013

Thanks for the blog
This is a great way of documenting your travels. Can you bring me back a black squirrel for my collection (alive, of course!)
28th August 2013

Stay safe and have fun. We love following your blog. Thanks for sharing. Bill & MB
2nd September 2013

Just started reading your blogs this morning. It does make me want to hasten my trip to eastern Canada somewhat, but it won't happen this year. Our friends just returned from their trailer trip to eastern Canada and the Maritimes, they really enjoyed it. I read an 800 page history of Canada last year and am anxious to travel to the first settlement areas I read about. I will be watching your entries and taking notes!! BTW: Joe's right, Quebecers don't consider themselves Canadian. I never had time to see Montreal on my layovers, so will enjoy a bit more time there. Love your entires!!

Tot: 0.238s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 62; dbt: 0.1196s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb