Niagara Falls--September 12, 2012


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Niagara Falls
September 12th 2012
Published: November 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday, September 12th

We were still having electrical problems that night and called back to the Roadtrek dealership on Wednesday morning and told them we were not going to drive all the way back to Kitchener and asked if there was another dealer in the area.

They suggested that we drive over a hill a bit to a nearby community of Elfrida and have a RV place look at what was happening. About $65 and a half hour later, they found that the long light fixture had a "dead short" and the fuse problem was cleared up by removing the fixture. Of course, they didn't have the part in stock. Found that the nearest Roadtrek dealer in NY was on the eastern side of Rochester. We called over to there to see if they had the part in stock or if it had to be ordered. Yeah!! They had the fixture, so we made an appointment to be there in a couple days.

Left the RV dealer and drove east through the countryside and small towns along highway 20. Some of the towns looked to be resorts with cabins and touristy shops. Crossed over the ship channel of the WellandCanal that allows ships to go between Lake Erie and LakeOntario without going over Niagara Falls.

When we got to the City of Niagara Falls we were blown away by the Myrtle Beach/Panama City/Gatlinburg tourist crap of Ripley's Believe or Not, T-shirt shops, and other such places. Finally, after some trouble we found a parking space at the top of the cliff and hiked down a trail to the river.

Thankfully, the government has been able to keep the promenade and the land adjacent to the River free of such commercialism and have landscaped with flowers in attractive designs. Did I mention how hot it was?? It was really hot, and so we were really glad to take a cooling trip on the Maid of the Mist.

After our wet boat ride, we hailed a cab to take us back up the hill to Rosie. It was so hot there was no way we were going to be able to hike up the steep path. Turned Rosie toward the US border crossing and then drove along the Niagara River on 18F that wound through lovely communities with homes and several convents that overlooked the river.

After the town of Youngstown, we drove through Fort Niagara where you could see the skyline of Toronto across LakeOntario. This site was also a POW camp during WWII. Continued driving along the Lake on highway 18 to Four Mile Creek State Park and settled in for the night alongside lots of other RV's.

Had some videos to uplaod, but couldn't get them to do so. When I get them on youtube, I will modify this page.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.469s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1238s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb