Niagara's Fury


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Niagara Falls
November 11th 2010
Published: November 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Niagara SkylineNiagara SkylineNiagara Skyline

The tower shaped like a shot glass - one actually designed to look like one...it was designed as a hotel by a distillery
DAY 37
Had a sleep in for us - got up at around 8am ready for our Niagara tour. We headed downstairs to I-Hop for breakfast. I had an omelette and some pancakes - which i couldn’t finish as i was still recovering from the Nachos the night before. Scott had pancakes, bacon, eggs, sausage and ham. It was fairly expensive by the time tax and tips were added on, not really worth the price, but it was easy and we couldn’t really be bothered walking anywhere else. We headed downstairs at 9.45am ready for our tour pick up. The bus arrived on time and we started our tour driving around the top of the Niagara River. The tour guide pointed out a lot of things along the way - the tunnels that are dug out filtering water to power plants and reservoirs, marine land and lots of local history. He said that at this time of year the water over the falls is only 25% of its maximum capacity because tourist season officially ends at the end of October, they divert a lot of the water for the generation of power. During tourist season they have an agreement that they must let the falls operate at a minimum 50% of the capacity - to keep the tourists happy! They still looked pretty impressive to me!! First stop was Niagara’s fury, which is at the info centre on table rock. First off we watched a cute little animation on how Niagara Falls was formed. Next we went into a 4D experience of Niagara Falls, where we got wet and experience Niagara Falls forming. It was pretty cool! After this we went down to Behind the Falls, where you take an elevator down to a viewing platform at the base of horseshoe falls. Once you come out of the elevator all you can hear is the roar of the falls as they hit the water below. I can only imagine what that sound would be like if the water flowing over the falls was at 100% capacity! We walked along the corridor until we came out at the viewing platform and it was a pretty sweet view of the falls. We took some pictures, and luckily the mist from the falls was blowing up rather than in our direction. We also walked back up the corridor under the falls and got to look out at them from a tunnel cut into the rock, so we saw them from behind - again they were just so loud!!
We got back on the bus and headed to the IMAX theatre to watch a short movie on Niagara Falls history. The screen, as with all IMAX movies was really big and the picture really good. We learnt some of the history involved with “the maid of the mist” and some of the daredevils that have tried to go over the falls. The first story was of a woman in the 1800’s that was in her 60’s and wanted notoriety, she loaded herself and her cat into a barrel and had the barrel rowed out and cut off in the Niagara river over the falls. She and her cat survived. We also heard about the only person to accidentally go over the falls. He was a 7 year old boy, who was on a boat with his sister and friend of his fathers. They were boating on the Upper Niagara river, and the engine failed. The boat then capsized due to some of the rapids. The family friend was knocked unconscious and never seen again, the sister was rescued at the last minute as the current pushed her toward the edge where someone managed to grab her hand. The boy however, went over the top of the falls in bathers and a life jacket. He was found by the Maid of the Mist boat at the bottom of the falls, without injury. There have only been 2 people to go over the falls twice and more people have died trying than have succeeded. For a long time they allowed tight rope walkers to walk over the Niagara River near the falls, but after the death of someone in a barrel over the falls the parks service banned all stunting on the Niagara River. People who try to go over in any form are fined $10,000 if caught before or alive after. Our driver was telling us there is one guy who has gone over twice, that wants to go over a third time to set the record and all the guards are on the look out for him as they think he will try it next season. The catch is he needs to wait until tourist season when water flow is at its peak to reduce the risk of hitting the rocks below.
After IMAX we drove down river along the Niagara and saw some of the rapids along the way. We stopped off at a souvenir shop, where we saw glass being blown and got to try some free fudge. Next stop was Whirlpool rapids, which isn’t as impressive when the water flow is not at its peak. Basically, thousands of years ago the pressure of the falls, which have eroded back about 7 miles over hundreds of thousands of years, have created this basin before the river turns to the right. The water flows in at such a fast speed, that it can’t “turn the corner”, so it flows around the basin but as the water coming down is so strong it can’t cross back over into the river to the right easily, it has to pass through at the very bottom and bounce into the other side. Understandably, when the river is at its peak it really is a giant whirlpool and many people have lost their lives in it over the years. We took a cable car over the river and the rapids which was pretty cool - their were lots of little eddies there rather than one giant big one. It was also very cold over the river!!
Next stop was to the butterfly house and on the way we passed some of the reservoirs and dams set up to control the flow of the Niagara and also the world’s largest flower clock. The butterfly house was pretty cool - not quite as big as the one at Melbourne Zoo, but still really nicely set up. We spent about ½ hour here and Scott got some pretty good photos. On the way out we got to see a deer and some black squirrels which was pretty awesome!
Last on our stop was the sky tower, which was very close to our hotel. We took the elevator up to the viewing decks and the view was beautiful. We could see right out to the 2 reservoirs on the Canadian and American side of the river, both falls and everything in between. Even though it was a freezing cold day the sun was out and the views were just beautiful. After the sky tower, we got dropped back off at our hotel where we found out about taxi’s for the following morning to the airport and checked our flights.
We headed back out to the falls as we wanted to get some shots during the day up close with blue skies. Our plan was to walk along the river upstream a little bit, then grab dinner at the restaurant overlooking the falls and then watch the fireworks over the falls. However, our plans changed when the restaurant we wanted to eat at was closed for a private function. We still walked along the river upstream and had a look at the barge that got stuck many years ago and got to see some of the power processing plant. We then walked along the front of both falls again and got some photos. We decided we’d head to the casino for dinner as it would give us a chance to have a quick gamble as well! We ate at a “chophouse” or steakhouse, where Scott had a steak and i had a veggie pasta. The meal was very nice. After dinner, we headed into the casino to put $20 each into the pokies. Scott lost his $20, but i won $20 so we came out even in the end. We headed outside at about 7.45pm to see what the view was like from the casino of the falls. It wasn’t brilliant so we decided to walk back down the hill to be right in front of the falls for the fireworks. Before we did however, we saw a raccoon right in front of us on the cliff face. Then before you knew it, another 2 had joined the first one - so we had 3 raccoons right in front of us. They were really cute but REALLY fat - so i think they must do pretty well for themselves! Tried to take a few photos, but i think the flash scared them. Eventually, Scott dragged me away from the raccoons so we could get a spot for the fireworks.
We found a nice spot in front of both falls and waited for the fireworks to start. Each night they illuminate the falls in light so it was nice to just sit there and watch them for a little while. About 8.15pm the fireworks started and they were very pretty and just a perfect setting. After the fireworks we headed back to the hotel, as we had an early wake up call the next day to get to the airport ready for Mexico.



Additional photos below
Photos: 52, Displayed: 28


Advertisement



11th November 2010

Loved the raccoon
Awesome photos. Your trip has been amazing to follow. Love ya both Mum

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb