The Falls up close!

Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Niagara Falls
June 24th 2018
Published: June 27th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Rain, rain - was raining when we got up this morning, and still raining when we finished breakfast, could barely see the falls out the window. Decided to wait a little while before heading to the "Journey to the Falls Boat Cruise".
There has been a constant stream of people in rain ponchos (red for the Canadian side, blue for the US side) coming and going from these boats since we got here. There are four boats that go all day, 2 from the Canadian side and two from the US side, and the Canadian ones run at night as well (must be making a fortune). They seem to be in synch, only one is right up at the Horseshoe Falls at a time, and only one on each side is docked at any time.
Walked down in our rain jackets when rain eased a little, figured we were going to get wet anyway. Bought our tickets, then down a couple of ramps and an elevator and we were given our red ponchos (immediately dubbed our "strawberry costumes "). Standing in line for the next boat, we seemed to have timed it very well. Not too many people in front of us. Was not allowed to be downstairs and inside (this is Trina's do over, last time she was here the river was frozen and she didn't do the boat, so she is in charge), so when we are allowed on we grabbed a spot on the rail up the top (in the rain)!
After lots more strawberries came onboard, the boat it headed first to the American Falls. The wind and spray from the force of the water going over is quite strong. Boat then went to the Horseshoe Falls and we were surrounded by the mist. The wind and spray and the noise was amazing, couldn't see much (just like our stormy bus tour) and the boat was quite rocky. Then back to the dock. And nowhere near as wet as we got on our bus tour.
Back to the hotel for dry clothes, then another short walk up Clifton Hill (the mini Vegas part of Niagara Falls) for lunch at Ruby Tuesday. A transfer to a Toronto Airport hotel as we had an early flight in the morning (and the silly person who booked it didn't realise there was no lift so had to carry our bags up the stairs), then a surprisingly nice dinner at Pearson Pub (part of the hotel), before setting the alarm for 4.15am!

Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.043s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0128s; 1; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb