Canoes and Jails


Advertisement
Published: October 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Algonquin Provincial Park


Ater stopping at the Flying Saucer Diner in Niagara (well we were in North America!) we made our way to one of the wineries that the region is famous for to try the local speciality - ice wine (all in the name of culture of course!) They make it in the winter when the grapes are actually frozen and as a result is really sweet. Then it was our half way stop at a place called Bracebridge famous for their bean salad apparently.

We made it to the Wolf Den hostel just outside Algonquin National Park in the afternoon where are home this time was a log cabin for the 4 of us. The place really reminded me of River Valley in NZ for those of you that did Kiwi. Was very tranquil and back to nature (outdoor toliets in the dark not to everyones liking! - esp when there are bears around!)

The following day we had booked ourselves on to a full day giuded canoe trip. Canoeing is one of the main activities in the park which is full of lakes and connecting rivers. We had picked such a great time to visit as the leaves were just turning and the scenery was a mass of colour. After being kitted out with our canoes, paddles and lifejackets we were off . "RIGHT ON!" I dont like to boast but Sarah and I sped off in front only stopping to witness another certain canoe of 2 getting stuck in reeds/almost toppling over/going round in circles (only kidding girlies!!) After a bit of portage (carrying the canoe on the top of your heads - not joking) we stopped for lunch by the side of the river. I dont think Hayley had often had rice cooked with river water and mixed with a stick 😊 A really good day.

The next day we drove through the park on our way to Ottawa, stopping on the way for various little walks and look outs and the Park visitors centre to take pictures of the only moose (stuffed ones) we saw the whole time.

Ottawa


In Ottawa we stayed at the HI Jail Hostel. It was a working jail up until the 1970s I think. Our room had bars and consisted of 3 tiny cells that had been knocked together. Cramped was not the word and I'm glad I was in there with 3 people I knew!

Ottawa was different again as we headed out into a really sunny day, we did a tour of the parliament ( see its not just all chocolate and wine!) and had a walk down by the river and the Bytown Market. Hayles and I visited the Museum of Contemporary Photography and the Supreme Court before collapsing back at the hostel. That evening we did a tour of the jail ("If you know your gallows!") conducted by what I can only describe as very enthusiastic guide. Dramatic pauses the rule of the day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



5th October 2006

Chuckle out loud
What awesome pictures. I really shouldn't read your tales in a quiet office - my giggles of laughter are slightly (well very) obvious!!!!!!!
5th October 2006

wow
pretty good sal
6th October 2006

what gorgeous photos
You look great Sal what an incredible trip seeing everything that is what life is about! Keep up the wonderful travel blog
6th October 2006

Just a message from Norway;)
Hi Sal. Love your travel blog. Take care! Miss u a lot!
12th October 2006

Oh the memories...
looking at all these pictures and reading the stories makes me chuckle... such a great holiday - this time last month we were getting very, very wet, standing only a couple of feet from the base of America falls (Niagara), decked out in a very attractive shoes and bright yellow poncho (thanks for not putting that picture on the web!)... looking forward to hearing what you've been getting up to in Sydney now... Take care, lots of love, Sarah

Tot: 0.226s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 62; dbt: 0.1788s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb