Cape d' Or


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Nova Scotia
September 20th 2008
Published: September 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday, September 17, 2008


The dining room at the Inn was full for breakfast, so we invited a couple from Maryland to eat breakfast at our table. Lots of French speaking folk were eating in the room with us.

It was a morning for running errands. We stopped at the Dollar Store to get a basket for the center console. Every time I put on brakes something comes sliding off the collection in the top depression. We found a basket and double stick adhesive and a lot of other things before we left there. Next stop was at the bank to exchange dollars. Then we drove to the north side of town to take a few pictures and to get some gas.

One of the main stops for the day was at the Three Gables Museum of Acadian Life with exhibits about the village and how the inhabitant’s lives have improved through the years. One of the main features is a gallery demonstrating the rug hooking and a display of Elizabeth LeForte’s masterpieces in hooking. She made portraits and landscapes. The one depicting American presidents and history has 7 miles of yarn and 1,700,000 stitches. Her artistic ability was amazing.

Finally we headed down the road to explore some on the south side of town. Mother wanted to examine the Scarecrow Village up close. We stopped and checked them out. By then our sunshine had disappeared and a cold breeze was blowing, so we had a early snack lunch at the snack bar there.

In Margaree Harbor, Mother wanted another church picture so I drove onto the small road into the village. I continued down to the harbor where there were multitudes of roses blooming. One section of the rocks on the seawall protecting the harbor was made up of giant triangular rocks that looked like shark’s teeth. Along the sandy beach, I picked up some small well polished agates.

We continued down the coast to Inverness where we took some more church pictures and stopped at one of the gift shops. Then we looped back along the east side of Ainslee Lake. There were a few farms with cattle along there and lots more apple trees. At East Margaree, we stopped at the Larchwood factory outlet. They produce cutting boards made from one inch square pieces of larch - each with a different pattern in the grain, creating fantastic patterns. Then we followed the small road along the upper side of the river to the main road.

Back at our Inn, we took a little rest and I went for a walk along one of the side roads in the neighborhood. For dinner we went to La Gabrielle Restaurant and sat in the lounge so that we could hear a performance of Acadian Music. A lady, Sylvie, sang and played the guitar and was accompanied by a man, Jean, who played the mandolin, guitar and harmonica. They did some songs that she composed - all in French-, some Scottish ones, some contemporary ones in English and some traditional French ones. It was very good.

Now time to get packed up to hit the road again in the morning.


Thursday, September 18

We had breakfast at the inn again this morning. The breakfast waitress is a pleasant lady with a lively sense of humor - always joking around with the guests. There was a couple from Boston eating and in the parking lot as we were leaving. He was especially friendly and talkative.

We did not make a lot of stops along the way today because we had to get in close to 300 miles - mostly just breaks for rest stops with some shopping also. During most of the morning we drove through light showers. We stopped at the Candy Shop for another rich hot chocolate. The chocolate pot was not yet hot, but they fixed some up quickly so we could have a cup - um, um, good. We stopped at the causeway lighthouse and canal to take pictures. While we were there they stopped the traffic to allow four oversize items to come onto Cape Breton Island.

Along the Bay of Fundy, we saw the Five Islands that legend says Glooscap through into the sea. In Parrsboro, we stopped for the bank and post office errands. Then we went to the Geological Museum with displays on fossils and crystals found in the local rocks - one case full of glittering purple amethyst. After leaving Parrsboro, the road became more curvy with lots of hills and wooded instead of with fields. Just before Advocate Harbor, we took the road to the Cape d’Or scenic area. The last four miles of the trip were on a gravel road. At the end of the road is an overlook and parking lot. There is a small track with a sign saying “No vehicles beyond this point.” Mother was startled to learn that we were leaving the truck in the parking lot for the night. We had reservations to stay at the Light Keepers House, but to get down the hill, we had to call for a ride. Darcy, the owner came to get us in a little red car. He said that his 4 wheel drive was being repaired. I’m glad that he was driving down the narrow rocky road - maybe I should say trail.

I walked around and took some pictures of the cliffs and the Bay - with the tide just beginning to go out. We had a marvelous meal in the restaurant with perfectly cooked and seasoned food and fresh vegetables. After dinner, we went out onto the point beside the lighthouse and watched the sunset over the bay. It was a calm evening, a little cool, but glorious to see the wonders of God, with the changing colors of the sky, cliffs & water. Not only the guests in the restaurant but also all the employees came out to drink in the wonder of dying day.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0324s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb