Weekend in Nova Scotia


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Nova Scotia
September 14th 2008
Published: September 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Saturday, Sept 13

We headed out after breakfast at the cottage and my morning walk down Silver Point Road. We were going to take the ferry at Riverpoint. On the way we saw signs posted for a Cranberry Farm, so we drove out Blue Rocks Road and followed the signs down some side roads until we reached the farm. The gate was open, but there was no one around. We parked the truck and realized that the plants enclosed within earthen banks were cranberries, covered in fruit that was in the process of turning from white to red. They had a pond for flooding the bogs and a hose for sucking up the berries. They had lots of crates to be filled. It would have been much more interesting if we had someone to explain the process.

The rain and mist descended before we reached the ferry. It crosses at La Have every 15 minutes. It was the smoothest boat ride I have ever taken. The ferry is attached to a cable that goes into the wharf on each side of the river. A half dozen sail boats came down the river as the ferry came across from the other side. Only 4 cars went across with us - it will hold 9 or 10 cars.

On the other side, we stopped at the La Have Bakery. The pastries were sinfully delicious. However, the double chocolate cookies we purchased for later were healthy - little sugar or fat or taste.

In Bridgewater, I visited the Wile Carding Mill - water powered and used for processing the local farmer's wool. I received a marvelous individual tour as there were no other visitors there at the time.

We decided to give the lobsters a break and ate at a German restaurant in honor of our German ancestors. Then we stopped off in Mahone Bay and visited a few of the gift shops on the main street. Then after buying some groceries for supper and tomorrows lunch, I walked around the Bayview Cemetery. There were quite a few Strum's buried in the grounds.

Back at our cottage, we finally met our landlady, Michelle. She was pulling weeds in the flower garden - which is very nice. Dinner was leftovers from our generous lunch with a few extras.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 45; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb