Nova Scotia


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Nova Scotia
October 25th 2007
Published: October 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

In June of 2003 my friend Li and i went to present at a conference in Halifax. We were lucky enough to have a few extra days to explore the province and in particular Cape Breton Island. Nova Scotia is really a hidden gem as far as travel destinations go.

Halifax

Halifax is a wonderful city to explore. There is history, a great harbor, parks, and university area. Dalhousie University is worth a look. I would recommend taking some time to simply roam the downtown area on foot. Check out the Bluenose schooner if it is docked in the harbor. And there are many good seafood restaurants around the harbor. I loved Point Pleasant park--it was full of soft surface trails to run on. It was leash free park where dogs could run free--wish I could take Paavo there! Li and I also enjoyed the Tim Hortons for donuts as they were seemingly on every street corner. Outside of Halifax the small hamlets along the coast are great to explore. I would recommend Lunenberg in particular.

Cape Breton Island

If you go to Nova Scotia and you are a nature lover and enjoy beautiful landscape then make Cape Breton Island your top priority. We explored the island by car and did some hiking. One of the highlights was hearing and seeing whales while standing on the coast. We happened to pull over for a good view and then heard the water spraying from the whales' blow holes. We also found ourselves walking right next to a moose and her calf while out on a trail. The drive around the island is incredible. I would like to be there on a day when it was very sunny as the views would be unreal. Also, Cheticamp was an interesting little town and a good base from which to locate yourself. We just happened upon a very cool bed and breakfast run outside of town run by a very friendly French woman who was also a self-taught artist who did great paintings of the island.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Cool houseCool house
Cool house

There were a few houses that looked somewhat like this around the Bay of Fundy.
Bay of FundyBay of Fundy
Bay of Fundy

Greatest change of tides here than anywhere in the world
Peggy's Cove lighthousePeggy's Cove lighthouse
Peggy's Cove lighthouse

This lighthouse is a big draw for tourists.
Bed and breakfastBed and breakfast
Bed and breakfast

This is the owner of a great bed and breakfast place that we happened upon. She is a self-trained artist too!


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0225s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb