Back on the mainland again!


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Nova Scotia » Halifax
August 15th 2010
Published: August 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We arrived at Pat's sister and hubby's place around noon today. (Breda and Adrian). I am thankful we were able to stay with them a day earlier than planned. We were able to get a spot on the midnite ferry that was running on time! No sleep of course so we are both feeling very tired tonite.

Never did camp in Springdale, it was wet and cold and we took a room at a local inn. The next day we travelled back toward our ferry rendezvous in Port aux Basque. Passed Marble Mountain and Cornerbrook. The mountains are rising up around us again and I find myself craning my neck up looking for eagles, hawks and other birds.

We explored a peninsula further south west called "French Ancestors Route". Picked up supplies in Stevenville, the biggest town nearby. Drove thru the old American Base there, the road was created from the runways and businesses now operate out of the hangers.

Camped in Piccadilly in a rustic, no service site that overlooked the bay. Water was warm but the night became very cool with heavy dew. That evening we both were "screeched" and became official Newfies - you have to take a swig of screech rum, wear the sou'western and raincoat, sing a ditty and kiss a cod. No cod available so Wanda at the campground provided a baby trout - great fun!

We both were up during the night looking for meteorites, Pat saw a number of them. My air mattress died during the night and I ended up lop-sided and cold by morning. After tidying up camp we drove around the rest of Cape St George, Pat said it reminded him a lot of Ireland with the sheer cliffs and drops below. Driving thru numerous small villages, everyone waves and says hello!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb