Extended Stay


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Nova Scotia » Halifax
September 1st 2019
Published: September 1st 2019
Edit Blog Post

August 31-September 1, 2019 – Halifax, Nova Scotia – (Day 1) Weather: 77°F/25°C, sunny with scattered clouds, wind 11.4 mph, humidity 38°; (Day 2) Weather: 72°F/22°C, sunny with scattered clouds, wind 22 mph, humidity 46°.





After running along the edge of the tropical depression we awoke to clearing skies and sunshine accompanied by 64°F/18°C temperatures. What a pleasant change! On our revised itinerary we are scheduled to enter the harbour at around 1:00 pm and be dockside by 2:00, actually it turned out to be 2:04. We have nothing planned for today other than to walk along the Boardwalk to the Maritime Museum & H.M.C.S. Sackville. A friend from the area just contacted B and said that Halifax is having a concert tonight along the Boardwalk.

On leaving the ship we took advantage of the fact that we were back in Canada and that our cell-phones could once again connect to a friendly system. B called the artist back in Newfoundland to complete arrangements for the paying and shipment of a piece of art that we viewed in the hotel at Rocky Harbour. With that accomplished we strolled leisurely along the Boardwalk with almost everyone from the ship and it appeared everyone from Halifax. Their cultural festival on the Boardwalk was a popular destination.

We approached the pier where the Sackville was docked and before we went aboard B asked if my system could handle it as this was the second ship on my bucket list to visit this year. I assured her that I was fine. The ship herself is in fairly good condition considering that she was built in 1941 and served for over 40 years before being saved and turned into a museum ship. The main reason for visiting was that one of my uncles served aboard ships of this class during WW2 as a chief stoker. It was finally nice to see the cramped conditions that he endured for five years of his life, and survived.

On our second day in port we ventured out to three nearby communities, Peggy’s Cove, Lunenburg and Mahone Bay, all of which we last visited in the 1970’s. Like so many communities in this area that relied solely on fishing these towns and villages now view tourism as a major economic force.

At Peggy’s Cove we took pictures of the iconic lighthouse and the quaint village that it protects. While there we also view the artwork of a local painter and sculpture William deGarthe.

Moving on to Lunenburg, home of the schooners Bluenose and Bluenose II we explored the center of town on foot after enjoying a lobster filled submarine sandwich. Lunenburg has achieved a UNESCO world Heritage Site status. Our final stop for this road trip was in Mahone Bay where three churches, Anglican, Lutheran, & United, sit side-by-side on the shore looking out to sea. We stopped at the local Tim Horton’s for our afternoon coffee break. Ah, to be back in Canada!

Before heading back to the ship for our second last night aboard we stopped in the stores set up pier-side for a little souvenir shopping.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.235s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 13; qc: 45; dbt: 0.119s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb