Baddeck - heart of Cape Breton


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Nova Scotia » Cape Breton
June 17th 2009
Published: June 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Baddeck is on the shore of Brass D'Or, a giant inland sea. A very fitting setting given the Scottish heritage of the area. We enjoyed a day travelling around the 300km Cabot Trail, with some spectacular views over the Atlantic and some pristine highlands. We called at the Gaelic College to buy some McClellan clan tartic (even Anna bought some!) and at some craftsmen's establishments to buy some pewter and leather products. There were meant to be moose galore but none in sight. The next day we enjoyed Fort Louisburg, a re-creation of the French fort that once stood there, invaded in 1744 and again about 12 yrs later. The Canadians have done a fine job of making the fort feel like a very authentic 1700's fort (as best as I recall them from those days anyway!) Last evening in Baddeck, there was a street party to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the first flight in the British Empire. Alexander Graham Bell was one of the cohorts. A number of bands were playing and I particularly enjoyed a local band from Halifax. Fireworks closed the evening. The next morning we visited the Alexander Bell Museum to learn about his many inventions, including the phone, hydrofoils, deaf languages and flying machines. On a drive to the Prince Edward Island ferry we enjoyed spotting a mother brown bear and her two cubs, crossing the road.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0491s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb