Lab fun and 24 hours of daylight!


Advertisement
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday I arrived in Inuvik, NWT! The land of the midnight sun😊 For those of you who do not know where that is, look at a map, you will find me at the top of the world! Inuvik is 2 degrees north of the Arctic Circle on the Mackenzie River Delta. The environment as somewhere between the treeless tundra and the northern boreal forest, and as I saw from the flight in, the is in the middle of an incredible maze of lakes and streams of the Delta. Inuvik means "place of people" and that is what it is in this area. It is also the homeland of the Inuvialuit and Gwich'in first Nations people and a wide variety of other aboriginal and non-aboriginal people.

I have not seen very much wildlife up here yet and my hopes of seeing a polar bear have been crushed as I have been informed that although many people believe that there are polar bears here... there are not. There isnt even any snow here right now. July is supposed to be the hottest month here and for 56 days of the year the sun never sets and it looks the same outside at 1am as it does at 1pm (I have no idea when to go to sleep or wake up). The weather was unusually hot when we arrived and it is again today, high of 22 degrees! Very nice! 24 hours of Very nice...

Everyone here is very nice. I discovered a family rec centre in town with a descent pool and a 24 hour Fitness centre.

, bugs, lab, research centre, dry ice machine, CO2 cylinders,


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb