Ferryland Lighthouse Picnic


Advertisement
Published: June 8th 2015
Edit Blog Post

I just recently moved to Newfoundland and never spent much time touring around this beautiful province.. So I thought I would show some of my day trips to those who may not get a chance to visit.

Today we visited The Ferryland Lighthouse on the Avalon Penninsula, a 1 hour drive from St. John's. Nice leisurely drive lots of ocean views on the way going thru various small communities until we reached Ferryland. I had reserved a lunch picnic at the lighthouse which by the way is recommended as in the summer season things fill up fast.

We made it to the parking lot and started our trek up to the light house.. It is a very easy walk a road big enough for one car it takes about 10minutes or so to get up to the lighthouse.. once you are up there and hopefully it is a clear day what gorgeous views...and boy was it windy. I think we picked the windiest day to try and do this idyllic picnic.. lol.

Inside the lighthouse is where the magic happens... they make the most yummy sandwich lunches. Breads from scratch and baked at the lighthouse, all local ingredients. It smells delicious my stomach started to grumble as soon as we walked in.

We picked out our lunches got our baskets and blankets and headed outside... we were going to enjoy the outdoors whether we were blown off the cliff or not... we came for the whole experience. It became apparent that we should find a spot out of the wind or there would be napkins blowing everywhere. We found a nice cozy spot and sat down to feast. I was very happy with my Curried Mango Chicken sandwich and Apple cake with a Toffee topping.. We all took turns trying everyone's different deserts as we had all chosen something different. Amazing...

We were troopers and stayed up there as long as possible .. got some great pictures and enjoyed our day. I can say that if the wind never turned so cold we would have stayed up there a bit longer and explored and possibly done a little geocaching...I guess Im gonna have to make a return trip.



All in all a great day... check it out at www.lighthousepicnics.ca


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.032s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0142s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1020.2kb