August 17th-18th


Advertisement
Published: August 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Harvey and Anna have a beautiful home, right downtown in NFL. That means that is is part of a row of brightly coloured houses that all nestle into each other. St. John's has narrow old streets and lots of character downtown. I've seen much more of the countryside around it then the city though. Harvey took me for a 10 km hike on the East Coast trail. You climb and descend, in trees and then out on bare moss covered rock to a cliff point that looks way out on the ocean. We passed a water fall and suspension bridge beside a village that used to be there, only foundations left now. I thought that it was old, you could only get there to build by boat, and you wouldn't carry your groceries by foot either. It wasn't, people had been there just a few decades ago. It was all stunningly gorgeous.

Sunday,we went blue berry picking with Sophie, Harvey's daughter and a friend. This required another hike straight up, where you could look down over a village and out to the ocean. Sophie swears that you have to eat blueberries with peanut butter on ritz crackers. So we did, sweet mellow mixed with salty crunch. She was right. I've never seen so many blueberries in my life. We picked buckets and buckets and it still looked like we had never touched the patch. The sky was deep blue and there was enough breeze to keep us cool, another perfect day. Harvey even cooked me fresh cod for supper, and I've been given the advice to eat peas pudding and partridgeberry pie before I leave.

Good night and sweet dreams.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0187s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb