A Quirpon Island Experience


Advertisement
Published: July 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Quirpon


The boat picked us up at 4 PM for a short trip to Quirpon Island/Lighthouse for an overnight. There were eleven travelers with us on the boat, everyone excited about what to expect. This trip was a wedding gift and simply a delightful experience. This charming active lighthouse is located just off the northernmost point of Newfoundland. It has hiking trails, a whale watching room, two living quarters and, of course, a lighthouse.
Nothing and no one else is on the island.
The terrain is mostly tundra with some hearty greens, but the scenery is spectacular. The sea, the rugged coastline, the whales… add to that mix… sunshine and wispy clouds… and it is glorious. Hope you enjoy the photos.
A delicious dinner is served family style, so we had the opportunity to chat with lots of different folks from England, Holland, Switzerland and Canada.
The wind out here can get mighty gusty here, it is interesting to see laundry drying on the clothes line.
July 10, 2006, Monday. Breakfast at Quirpon Island and a morning walk before leaving by boat. The winds were so strong there was a question whether the boat could dock, but we made it. So with dolphins following us, we motored back to the mainland with many grand memories.
Back in Newfoundland we begin our trek to St. Barbe Bay where we get the ferry to Labrador! Our final destination, before we start back down the east coast of Newfoundland and Nova Scotia.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



23rd July 2006

beautiful
what a lovely part of the world
25th July 2006

Keeping in touch
I was past due to check your blog, and was delighted to read about your adventures. It sounds like a great trip. --Carol

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 38; dbt: 0.0526s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb