Viking Land and the Wild “Newfie” Wind


Advertisement
Published: July 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


The winds of Newfoundland are strong. The only other option would be, no wind and biting black flies. I’ll take the wind, thank you.
L’Anse aux Meadows National Historic Site was once a full fledged Norse Village for Vikings serving as a sailing base for explorations throughout the area, about 1000 AD.
Hedge-Ingestad, a Norwegian scholar-explorer and Anne Stine Ingstad, an archeologist, came to this area in the 1960’s. Digs uncovered eight complexes of rudimentary houses, workshops with fireplaces and a trove of artifacts all of which verified the Norse presence.
A path leads to recreated buildings, overlooking the Bay. Here costumed interpreters re-enact the roles and work of the Norse (Viking) captain, his wife and four crewmen. It was fascinating going into the sod houses seeing artifacts and “Vikings” going about their life of years ago. The sagas of the Vikings are stories with quite a history.
The Viking RV Campground is home for the night in Quirpon. I decided to bike into the town of Quirpon, a slightly hilly ride to the harbor. Surprised at how easy it was, I realized the winds were at my back. I biked around this tiny town which was lovely, then began the ride/walk back. The winds were gusting to over 50 mph and I felt as though I was on a stationary bike.
For dinner, Bob enjoyed ‘Fish and Brewis” a “Newfie” meal. It is dried cod mixed with HARD crackers (soaked in water overnight) and served with caramelized onion sauce.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 27; dbt: 0.075s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb