Crossing the border - again


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » New Brunswick » St John
August 2nd 2009
Published: August 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

August 1, Saturday

On to Maine, and hurrah, I've ridden on two wheels in 48 states. When we pulled into the visitor center to get maps and another hotel discount book, we found that the "Cat", the ferry from Portland to Halifax Nova Scotia, cost about $330 for the two of us and Bear. From Bar Harbor it would still cost over $237. Ouch. We decided to make a run from St. Johns New Brunswick to Digby NS instead, which only cost a little over $150. This was another rainy off and on day, so we stopped for the night in Belfast ME at another hotel. Boo.

August 2, Sunday

From Belfast, we explored Bar Harbor, which was okay, but not as good as the hype I've been given, then we continued on the border at Calais, ME and St. Stephen NB. From about two blocks away from the river, it took us about 1 hour 30 minutes to get finally up to the agent. He asked us a few questions, most of them in an incredulous tone of voice, then let us through without pulling us over. I'm not sure about why the line was so long, in fact, they've opened up another border crossing just a few miles away for commercial vehicles. In any case, from here we soldiered on through more showers to St. John NB, arriving just at sundown. We found a little mom and pop hotel high on the hill, went to look at the famous bridge where the waterfall goes both ways, but it was slack tide so nothing spectacular was occurring. Bear was telling me that the low beam headlight was out via the fancy-dancy computer system - Light (F) !



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



2nd February 2010

Looks like ...
a really nice trip!

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb