On the East-side of Life


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » New Brunswick » Moncton
August 30th 2009
Published: September 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Be the ChangeBe the ChangeBe the Change

Speaks for itself.
Im heading North.

Away from the knowns of Victoria. Away from friends, away from an amazing Longboarded-experience in Ottawa. Away from an amazing team of people in Nova Scotia, who now mostly all call themselves Katimavik Project Leaders.

Im heading North. Today, to Baie-Comeau, tomorrow to Labrador City, and Wednesday to Happy Valley-Goose Bay, my new home.

And, Im incredibly excited. Im excited for the gifts I have to share with my particpants. Im excited for the friends I have and will make up there. Im excited for the wilderness, the streams, and the Sub-Arctic Atlantic Ocean. This is a new place, with new people, and it will be my home for 10 months.

I await for the difference of culture Ill experience. For the wilderness, the unscarred and unscathed landscapes, the mountains, the moose, dear, and bear. I await for sub-zero months, 6 hour days, cabin-fever with 11 youth, and amazing adventures into the snow.

I am happy to be heading where Im heading.


I just finished two weeks of Project Leader training in Truro, Nova Scotia. There's 4 of us now travelling in a 12-passenger Katima-van, which has 3 of the back
Tyler Goes To EgyptTyler Goes To EgyptTyler Goes To Egypt

Tyler, and a friend, who is also a friend of a friend, spent an afternoon in Egypt, which is also conveniently located in the Museum of Civilization in Gatinaeu, Quebec.
benches removed. It is stacked HIGH with gear.. I cant believe how much gear we have.

Anyways, I need to go. We have a 14 hour drive tomorrow, on a gravel highway, through some of the most beautiful scenery Ive yet to see.

With the love of a full pride of lions,
Tyler "The Dragon" Walker


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Katrina the SalamanderKatrina the Salamander
Katrina the Salamander

Quick Fact: People who swim in the Ottawa River turn into Salamanders.
Longboards, whaaaatLongboards, whaaaat
Longboards, whaaaat

Kat and Ty take Ottawa by storm, in skirts.
Luke-George in HalifaxLuke-George in Halifax
Luke-George in Halifax

A dear dear friend, Luke-George Branson, visited me in Halifax this last weekend. Together, we rode 120km in beautiful weather, to meet the Otesha Rising Tides tour!
Luke-George and the Free BreadLuke-George and the Free Bread
Luke-George and the Free Bread

On our way out of town, Luke-George and I passed a Planet Organics. This pricey organic food chain can be found in many cities across Canada, and is famous for one thing: sweeeet dumpster finds! We cruised into the parking lot, past the front entrance and back around to the dumpsters, to find as much beautiful day-old bread as we could eat. Score!
Mahone BayMahone Bay
Mahone Bay

We passed through this beautiful port town on our way to our destination, Lunenburg (where the Bluenose was built). There were people battening down their hatches, in preparation for Hurricane Bill, which was fast approaching.
Ship-SkeletonShip-Skeleton
Ship-Skeleton

A massive boat, slowly being built by hand.
Garlic, George, and Dental FlossGarlic, George, and Dental Floss
Garlic, George, and Dental Floss

All things equally awesome. The tire Luke-George is holding had a torn side-wall, and belonged to one of the Rising Tides tour members. I took my dental floss, and fixed it, then covered it with duct-tape. Good as new! Freakin' awesome.
OteshaOtesha
Otesha

The Rising Tides tour, in their natural sleeping habitat, in the middle of a meeting.


Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 12; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb