Love


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Newfoundland & Labrador » Goose Bay
September 13th 2009
Published: September 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Labrador Highway is a living organism. Breathing, changing shape, conquering, evolving. Her skin is gravel, it moves, forms holes, washes out, needs to be continuously kept in line by graters and gravel trucks, or else, she would mutate certainly into the form she wants to be,
The Labrador Wilderness.
Lining the highway for over 1000 kilometers unbroken, the wild shrinks you, daunts you, manipulates you, does what it will with you. Gone are the comforts of medians, streetlights, painted lines and gravel. Nothing goes by this highway uneffected by it.

We spent 2 solid days travelling from Baie-Commeau to Goose Bay; negotiating the massive potholes, loose turns, and sketchy logging truck near-misses. On our second day, an hour and a half and 120km in to our travel, the Hwy decided to kick us in the.. tire. We got a flat. Rain, rocks, rust, and mud led us to taking 3 hours to change it.

Finally on Wednesday September 2nd, we arrived in Goose Bay, Newfoundland Labrador, after a 12 hour day on the road. It was dark, and it was muddy, and it was amazing to finally arrive in the home Im going to be living in for the next year. The next year.. even as I write it, it makes me feel a little ancy. I havent spent this long in one place since I was in highschool.

Ive met so many people here. This place has a really interesting feel to it. The three communities here are all really close together. Goose Bay has about 14000 people, Northwest River and Sheshatshiu both have around 2000. Goose Bay is the most developed, with many bars, restaraunts, grocerey stores, and stores of almost every other kind imaginable. Except a bike shop. Northwest River and Sheshatshiu have much less stores, only small convenience stores and gas stations. The two communities are right across a river from eachother. Sheshatshiu (an Innu word, pronounced 'shesheshi') is a native Innu community. I feel right now that there is more 'community' in Sheshatshiu than Northwest River and Goose Bay combined. We were invited to a family dinner there, and after having an awesome time eating food and connecting with the family that invited us in, two of us 'Katimaviks' (the term of endearment locals use for us) spent 4 hours helping their son lay down flooring in his house next door so he could move in the next day. We stopped working at midnight.

Due to my scedule, this post has taken FOREVER to get out.. I started writing it when I got here! I have tonnes more photos, stories, and even a few movies.. but not enough time in the day to get it all out there. So, until next time, I bid you all adeu.

Love,
Tyler





Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

RoadKillRoadKill
RoadKill

There were no tylers harmed in the creation of this photo.
Caterpillar 172Caterpillar 172
Caterpillar 172

This thing is baaaallin'!


14th September 2009

Hello Labradorian
Tyler You have a gift for the written word! Love Mom

Tot: 0.262s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1474s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb