Manitoba - land of the dumped car


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Manitoba
September 8th 2010
Published: September 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

MANITOBA

Leaving Ontario we briefly hit the Trans Canada Highway and all the Labor Day Holiday traffic heading home to Winniepeg. We turned north off onto a more minor road and had a fab 30km or winding road until we hit much flatter farmland that did not look very prosperous.

The roads are long and straight. We stopped to check the map in Beausejour and Sally decided it looked like a cowboy style town - hopefully a photo attached.

We continued to head north east north of Winnepeg and took a gravel road from Inwood to Clarkleigh which went through some marshland that resembled Lincolnshire on a much larger scale. All along the road we saw small bluish coloured small snakes that we were later told are garter snakes.

FARMLAND

The further west we travelled the more farmland we saw. The soil looks very fertile. The highway we took (5) followed a railway line and all along were tiny communities with their own grain storage conveniently placed to load the grain straight onto the trains.

60 YEAR OLD DINER

We stopped for lunch in a little place called Ste Rose du Lac and were
dumped cardumped cardumped car

a Porche 911 with Targa Top!!
recommended a diner by a passing farmer. Inside it was amazing, having not been touched for 60 years. There were the original stools around a U-shaped counter. We had the best lunch (roast beef) served by the most friendly offspring of the original owners. They do all all their own baking on site too.

RANDOM THOUGHTS ON MANITOBA

- they dump cars all over the place, including a Porche 911 Targa!!

- I learnt today what a squashed skunk smells like!

- Mainly deciduous trees

- Farms look poor with most of their buildings shabby and run down.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Snakes on the roadSnakes on the road
Snakes on the road

in Manitoba marshland area
St Rose DinerSt Rose Diner
St Rose Diner

60 year old fixtures and fittings


Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb