Moose Jaw and Cyprus Hills Campground


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Manitoba
August 13th 2009
Published: August 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Buffalo Pound LakeBuffalo Pound LakeBuffalo Pound Lake

early morning
Up early and wanted to go for a swim in the Buffalo Pound Lake...except it had green slime on the top...instead went for a hike and a shower before getting on the road and heading into Moose Jaw and taking a tour of the tunnels.

Imagine, Moose Jaw in the late 1800's and early 1900's with tunnels beneath the town, with steam furnaces, how they heated the businesses downtown. The tunnels had a Chicago connection with Al Calpone and the Chinese immigrants lived in the tunnels, while working for Burrows and doing laundry. Canadians didn't treat the Chinese with any respect, used them as slave labours. Thank goodness that has changed.

Finally got my fuel tank opened, and now can cook supper at the campsite and back to having coffee in the morning. I went to Canadian Tire and asked a nice young man to open it, seconds later, I was back on the road.

Leaving Moose Jaw came the rain. Drove to Cyprus Hills Interprovincal campground with no light pollution. went to the site in Sask. Beautiful site, and the rain had stopped when I drove into the site. Yet the temperature was around 12 C when
Sask.Sask.Sask.

You can see for miles and miles
we arrived.

Got the site up, both of us fed and hit the TransCanada Trail right in front of the tent. After a few minutes, we turned the corner and there were 3 deer, stood right in front of us, until Otis started barking. Throughout the hike in the woods (lodgepole pine), the deer kept coming out and just staring at us. Both the deer and Otis and I were very still. It was very peaceful, and just a real special moment.

After getting back to the campground, my neighbours (3 women and 5 kids) invited me to sit around their fire. At one point, the skies cleared and could see a lot of stars! A very beautiful night!

Tomorrow Banff!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Sask.Sask.
Sask.

wheat
Sask.Sask.
Sask.

wheat
Moose JawMoose Jaw
Moose Jaw

the entrance to the tunnels
Cyprus Hills CampgroundCyprus Hills Campground
Cyprus Hills Campground

the view from my tent


14th August 2009

happy trails :-))
hi jules, awesome images and notes! i have been to many of the places you have visited and brings back many memories. hope you and otis are well! safe journey and keep up the blog i am looking forward to them. ttfn, dez
16th August 2009

Hello
Hi Julia. This is a terrific blog. Am really enjoying reading about your exciting trip across our great country. So glad you are able to do this and relate your interesting experiences. Love the history part, and the photos. Keep well and hi to Otis!
17th August 2009

Wonderful Blog
Hi Julia – Wonderful blog. Richard just passed it on. I can really hear you talking through it. Sounds like a great trip. Looking forward to reading more. Big hugs to both you and Otis.

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb