Passing the Time in Port McNeil


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia
August 15th 2017
Published: August 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

FROM AMA LOG: Tuesday, 8/15/17

Port McNeil



WEATHER: Cloudy & warm. Light winds and partial sun, temp 78˙



PILOTAGE: It’s a no travel day for Ama and crew as we spend the morning provisioning (BB) and diagnosing electrical problems (PW).



It’s a beautiful day in Port McNeil though. I start the day by circumnavigating the south end of town, walking up the large hill overlooking the harbor and offering views down the Strait that we motored through the day before. The ripe smell of berries stands out on this cool clear morning. The only other travelers on the roads this early are bulky black ravens spread out like a search party, equidistant from each other, examining scraps, shiny things and tasty dead tidbits squashed flat on the roadways.



It doesn’t really take long to get enough exercise before my rumbling stomach leads me back into downtown to find the early morning café boasting fresh pastries and wifi! Back onboard Ama, Peter has been scouring Vancouver Is. for an inverter that fits and works well with our system. He is rewarded by his efforts at local Shop Rite Marine Store and CAB Industrial Auto Parts stores. I spend the day in and out of every other store in town, contemplating a windbreaker purchase until finding one at the thrift store for $15 (Canadian exchange makes it even cheaper, not quite $12).



I spend $20 here, $8 there on provisions while the replacement cost for a new inverter could run into thousands! Diligence pays in buying and shipping, finding a replacement that is affordable and more importantly, available! After a full day, everything is in place, showers provide another level of relief, and a night on the town of pub & grub dining while we catch up on emails and internet research.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb