Traveling Days


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia
August 30th 2015
Published: August 30th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Lots of traveling this past week, including one night stops in Watson Lake, Iskut, 2 nights in Stewart, and another one night in Smithers, British Columbia. All of these were done without cellphone service, and very, very limited wifi. With the way we live today, this was quite different for most of us. We spent two nights in Stewart with only electricity, and no tv .... a good thing we carry water and plenty of movies. We thought that was rather rough until we got to Smithers with their 15 amp service. Most of our rigs would like to have higher amps available, but we managed with the help of generators on the cool morning.

Oh .... before I go any further, I need to correct a mistake in the last post. I was telling you about the great train ride and how much I truly enjoyed it, all 8,865 ft. Ok, it's only 2,865 ft up to the summit ..... maybe it just felt like I was forever going up! I caught that error after I published it, so very little I could do until I found some good strong internet.

On Wednesday we took a drive through the small town of Stewart and across the border to the town of Hyder, Alaska. We were on our way to see the Salmon Glacier. Our itinerary said this was an old mining road that is "unmaintained". It also stated it was a 20 mile trip each way and would take approximately 2 hours each way. It mentioned 1500 ft drop offs. Just the challenge Jim needed, and I am always happy to have him behind the wheel. We had a great day and no where near the 2 hours each way, although they were correct in the condition of the road. The scenery was beautiful and we were so happy we went. We topped the evening off with a pot luck dinner with our group and a campfire.

Prince George will be the final stop. After that stop, we will head for the "lower 48". Sounds good!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 18; dbt: 0.0152s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb