Day 2 Diary


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia
December 22nd 2014
Published: December 22nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

A team/bus (they look like trams but are on wheels, whereas their buses are electric) is referred to as a 'trolley' in Canada. We came to realise this after a man said he was going to speak to the 'driver of a trolley', we were somewhat confused while in Stanley Park, trying to find someone who was pushing a trolley. This event occurred due to being lost and not able to find the Christmas light display in the park. Ryan realised, after taking the long way around to find the lights, that next time he might listen to Theresa's directions.

We found ourselves walking around this amazing city after the concierge demanded that we 'walk' rather than catch public transport To see what vancouver has to offer. His advice was worth listening to, however it will cost us a $5-10 tip On Tuesday When we leave for Banff/Lake Louise.

Our first destination was Granvikke Markets, here there was local fresh produce and many gift ideas for Christmas. There were carols being sung and several cute dogs who were waiting for their owners outside. After the markets we walked around Granviole for a good 2 hours, this area used to be all industrial, but is now home to university students and everything to do with theatre. There was still a massive concreting business in the middle. We came across floating boat houses and paper that was made from moose poo. There was a cute kids market that was full of toys, a massive playground and even had a door for the height of children, Swifty of course could not resist entering and exciting from that door. Theresa could almost do it without ducking.

We made our way over to the other side on the ferry to walk around Vancouver Bay back into the city. We realised we didn't know how the train lines run so a bus would be the best bet to get to Stanley Park Before sunset at 4-4.30pm. Swifty asked a random man for help, which he stopped and accesses Google maps to make sure we would hop on the correct bus. The bus driver was also helpful and even offered for us to have the fair for a single ticket if we could not find the correct change (only accepted coins). We have found the Canadians to be finely and very helpful. However, we made sure that we would return their favours by making sure we let several families know how to find the Christmas display in he park. It turned out Swifty was not the onley one who got lost. While finding the display, an old man asked if he could walk with us to find the lights, he was from a central state called Saskatchewan and was just visiting his son in the city, it turned out he had a sister-in-law who lives in Alstonville, small world (for those not familiar with the Lismore area, Alstonville is a smaller town 15 minuted from where we live).

After the display we walked to Canada Place , the down to Gastown to eat at a recommended Italian restraint, 'The old Spaghetti Factory', where theresa order a drink that was made from different sauces, for example Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco. It was disgusting. After dinner we went to meet up with an old AFL mate of Swifty's, Dan, who is in Vancouver to activate a working visa. Swifty went and had a few cheap beers with him, while Theresa decided to put up her feet to be ready for our walking the following day.

While at Stanleye Park we visited the Vancouver Aquarium where we saw Buluga Whales and watched a 20min 4D movie that was made for chikdren. However it was great to see sit for 20 minutes.

Later today their might be a post if just picture which will be from our phone as we can't uploada our phone photos onto the iPad and we don't have them all synced.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



22nd December 2014

Great photo's
Good Morning Ry and Teez, great to see the lovely photo's. You will be able to make an amazing photo book on your return. Day 2 sounded great and Corb Lund sings about Saskatchewan!!!! Greenspan carries out work in Saskatchewan also. xxxxx

Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0474s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb