Olympic Medalists


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia
March 16th 2005
Published: March 16th 2005
Edit Blog Post

The kids and auntie crazy Leane came 1-2-3 in … oh now I’ve forgotten the event. Had a tour of Whistler village (more like a sizable town these days) and a great hike around Lost Lake. Almost no snow and they are in the midst of closing the ski hills early. Took the evening ferry across to Nanaimo. Spent the next day wandering around the downtown area and shoreline. Highlights included lunch on the wharf beside the seaplane port and the art galleries and studios.

Drove across Vancouver Island today. Stopped and hiked among the 800 year old Douglas Firs in Cathedral Grove. Arrived at Tofino to gale warnings on the radio. The rain cleared up as we arrived and the winds slowly died down during the afternoon. Sat in a playground this afternoon and talked to a native woman who was there with the three youngest of her 5 children. She informed us that there are four native reserves in the Tofino area and fourteen tribes. She says her father can still speak the native language, but she cannot, like most of her generation. Her children do not learn it in school either so the language is on the verge of dying out. Her family does continue to create art: painting, carving, glasswork and beadwork she proudly informed us.

Boiled a live crab for supper. Well, that’s a bit of a fib. The woman in the fish shop had “cleaned” it for us first by “tearing the head off the crab” as Renee described it. Then a few minutes later we boiled the now motionless creature. Hiked on Chesterman Beach in the afternoon and then went back after the crab decapitation and watched the sunset. Plan to go to the interpretive centre in Pacific Rim National Park tomorrow and spend more time hiking before we head to Duncan …




Advertisement



18th March 2005

getting the hang of this blog
Hello everyone. Felt badly at missing you in Montreal before you left. Didn't have Joan's #. Will try and call when you are with maggie, but I'm leaving too so I might forget. meantime, I'll try and teach Dad how to use the blog. Love you all - jane
20th March 2005

Sunday Night Show
I tuned in last Sunday night as well but was unable to get the comment to work. I hope to make it a weekly visit. I'm glad you are having so much fun and seeing beautiful BC. All is well in Peterborough but we miss you lots. Can't wait to read about sunny California dudes. Take care. - Sheila

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb