Canada


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia
October 1st 2008
Published: October 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Next day saw us catching up with Chris McCoy who is living in Vernon waiting for the ski season to start. From here it was a drive up to Jasper where we found accommodation in a private home. This town is completely different from all other places…they don’t have motel/hotels as they are in a National Park so instead private residences are allowed to register to rent out rooms. It’s starting to get a lot colder now so were glad we weren’t in a tent. According to Malcolm you get a different view of the park driving in than you do driving out so he let Lani drive so he could ‘rubberneck’ at all the scenery. We stopped at Athabasca glacier and took a walk up the hill …this is the closest we will ever get to a glacier. It’s quite devastating to see how much the glaciers have receded over the past 100 years. I have been trying to capture all the autumn colours but unfortunately we are about 2 weeks too late for the full Fall glory but nevertheless it has been absolutely stunning scenery.

Saturday we had to drop Lani off at Calgary airport so it was rushed trip through Lake Louise and Banff although we did managed a hot chocolate at the Chateau and a trip to see where Adam spent his time whilst in Banff in 2004. It’s funny…all these places I have heard about from friends and now I have seen them …well it’s just not the same without the snow.
Thought we had got Lani to the airport with plenty of time to spare, have coffee etc only to find that there is an hour time difference and in fact we had only just got her to the airport in time…she booked in and had to go through customs straight away….so now there are only the two of us. I don’t know where we fitted all the gear when we had Lani in the car, because suddenly the car is absolutely chock-a-block full.






Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Train going through the spiral tunnelsTrain going through the spiral tunnels
Train going through the spiral tunnels

It looks as though the front of the train is going one way and the tail of the train going the opposite way
Lesley standing at Lake LouiseLesley standing at Lake Louise
Lesley standing at Lake Louise

and wishing there was snow.


23rd October 2008

What a fabulous adventure!!!
Hi guys, absolutely loving the travel blog ... just the highlight of my day - I'm travelling up hill and down dale with you! Drink in every second and come home safe n sound. Love Wendy x
5th November 2008

What beautiful scenery thankyou for sharing with me.love val
8th November 2008

Hi again!
I also loved that area of Canada although the weather was not so clear and much warmer (summer) when I was there. Keep enjoying your adventure!
24th January 2009

More places we want to see
We just enjoy reading your stories and the photos are amazing, i have added a few more places onto our wish list. Keep enjoying. Please give big hug to Alana to.

Tot: 0.421s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb