The End is nigh....


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Whistler
April 17th 2013
Published: April 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The end of the season is fast approaching, with Spring having well and truly sprung! Patches of grass are appearing at the base of Blackcomb mountain and the Pitch 'N' Putt can be seen now the snow has melted. Whistler Council is hard at work planting spring flowers and crocuses can be seen lining every walkway in all their purple, yellow and white glory. The temperatures continue to be mild, with sunshine lasting all day long. I had my final shift at work so now is the time to enjoy some spring snowboarding. The snow is less than optimum condition, but the beautiful 'bluebird' skies more than make up for it. The awe-inspiring views make for lazy board days and relaxed traversing down the runs. The number of holiday makers has dwindled and I have found myself alone on some of the runs on Blackcomb mountain on more than one occasion, even though Whistler Village is currently hosting the World Ski and Snowboard Festival.

The festival kicked off last friday with a range of acivities and an evening gig with famous musician NAS. I actually missed the first few days of the festival due to work, but managed to make it in to the village yesterday to stock up on freebies from the festivals sponsors - mainly Lynx, Monster Engery and some beef jerky manufacturer. There are various competitions going on with the best of the best demonstrating their ski and snowboard talents.

Most of the people I live and work with are making their plans for what's known here as 'the shoulder season'. This is generally the quietest part of the year (occurring again after the summer, in September/October), where jobs are scarce and the weather can't decide what it's doing. Luckily, I signed my contract for my summer job and start within the week. Many people are taking some time out to travel for a month or so, with the most popular direction being south into the West Coast of the USA. It looks like Whistler will be fairly quiet over the next few weeks - time perhaps for some potential bear spotting or maybe volunteering over at WAG... watch this space!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb