Spring Bike and Board


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Whistler
May 20th 2008
Published: May 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Atop a rockAtop a rockAtop a rock

On the lost lake trail
Although it's quiet season here with not nearly half as many people around town there is still a 'buzz' about biking. With a plethora of trails to choose from it generally means that you can get out and about and not see another person which is wonderful; feels like your very own mountain playground. Whistler has catered to bike enthusiasts superbly, creating trails for beginner - professional levels, the bike park and then the aerodome which is a very large foam pit you can take your bike to for practising large jumps, tricks etc.

Skiing / Boarding is still going strong although the quality of the snow is fairly poor as it's more of a slush but that makes the moguls alot easier for us boarders and it doesn't hurt at all when falling over! Gotta love that! Even better is going up in a T-Shirt, no shirt for some blokes and shorts! Tanning whilst skiing?! LOVE that concept!

However, we've not let the warm weather fool us. Weather for the next 2 months is to be anywhere between 10-30 degrees with sun, rain and snow, so really, the possiblity of 4 seasons in 1 day which I have already witnessed. The warm weather affects the skiing greatly with many avalanches occurring in the last week which have resulted in a few deaths. Deaths on the mountains, I have come to realise and sadly accept, are fairly regular. People often get lost in blizzards, have accidents in 'out of bounds' areas, just get lost in general never to be found again and unfortunately a friend of mine died over the weekend falling off a cliff. At least one death is printed in the paper each week and apparently these figures increase during the biking season. So, I've been trying to drum into Corrie "Safety first, safety first!". It's somewhat unsettling.




Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

nice goggsnice goggs
nice goggs

Me in my loaner goggles from Lost & Found - yep, they're kids!


Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb