Time in Vernon


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vernon
June 16th 2009
Published: July 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

June 11, Thursday

We rode two-up into Kelowna today to the Southwest Motorad BMW Dealer to see if he had the mud guard parts I needed. They tapped out the sheared off bolt, and just like Gina's BMW in Iowa City did, they robbed another bike for the parts, and replaced the mud guard. I was called to the garage, and the mech's showed me how with just a bit of bouncing, the rear cross bar from the Micatech bags was striking the mud guard, lacking about 1/4 to 1/2 inch to clear it. This happens even when lightly loaded, and coming off the center stand. This is what is causing the bolt to eventually shear off. After the fix, we visited a few outdoor gear shops, a few fabric stores, and Starbucks, then rode back to Vernon, about a half hour trip along lake shores and over mountain passes. The day ended with a nice hike up into the hills behind Deb's place, with a one-innings spectation at a fast-pitch softball game.

June 12, Friday through June 16, Tuesday

These days were spent at Deb's place in Vernon. Occasional trips to the beach, lots of coffee shops, walking on the hill behind Deb's house, and reading books. I also had an Ohlins rear shock installed to help with the load situation, and after a talk with Bob at Micatech, I was able to adjust the rear cross bar, using the small bit of free play in the bolt holes of the mounting brackets, so that it should just clear the mud flap if I do hit something hard enough to compress the shock that far again.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0278s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb