Bicycles and Parties


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vancouver
July 31st 2015
Published: August 16th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We went biking today. We rented bikes at the end of Davie street and went for a ride to Stanley Park. An easy enough ride, once we got used to the bikes. No tandem bikes this time! We rode around to the totem poles and admired their artwork, then continued on around Lighthouse Point. I was impressed at how organised the paths were. One way paths for wheeled transport (bikes and inline skates), with separate paths for bicycles, inline skates, and pedestrians. At certain points, like at the little water park (they have a Kids Dryer there!) or at Lighthouse Point, there were signs requesting bikers to dismount and walk the bikes, which everyone did. People follow the rules here.

We planned to cut across the park at some point, but I must have missed the turn and we ended up riding along the sea wall all the way around Stanley Park. Nobody complained as it was a very nice ride with the sea on our right the entire way. We did stop once along the way where there were a few benches and remains of a First Nation fish trap. At low tide they built semicircular stone walls with a small opening. When the tide rose fish would swim into these artificial pools. Then the people would block the opening with rocks or nets and catch the fish inside. Once they caught enough, they'd open the opening and let the remaining fish out.

Our kids, unlike the original tribes, just caught a few crabs and let them go again.

We continued around Stanley park and then headed into town. That was a bit scary. Many of the bike paths are on the road, we are not familiar with the rules here and drivers are not very patient. Besides, it was very hot and in town there isn't the breeze to help cool off.

We rode up to Gastown and saw the steam powered clock, but it was crowded, and we were too hot and hungry to be very impressed. Then we rode over to Chinatown in search of food. By this time my bike started having problems. The rear brake kept jamming, making it very difficult to ride.

Vancouver's Chinatown isn't nearly as impressive as Montreal's. It didn't look or feel much different from anywhere else we saw, except there seemed to be fewer people around and it seemed dirtier, slummier. We found a restaurant with lots of 'locals' there, most speaking Chinese, so we assumed it would be a good Chinese restaurant, right? A Chinese restaurant in Chinatown, almost full of Chinese customers. Well, turns out that rule doesn't always work. They served Italian, Indian, and American (spaghetti with ketchup sauce), but not Chinese. The Indian was good. Still, it was food and we were hungry so we cleaned it up.

After our lunch we rode the short distance to Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden and walked the bikes through it. The garden is beautiful! Pathways through trees, over bridges and around ponds with giant Koi, all with wonderful Chinese design. Very relaxing.

We rode from there South, towards False Creek Bay, then on the bike path along the bay. Soon we started seeing familiar sights. Granville Island across the bay, then Sunset Beach and English Bay where we saw the fireworks a couple days ago, and finally Stanley Park.

We returned the bikes to the shop and walked up Davie Street towards the hotel, and we saw police starting to block parts of the street and stalls setting up. We asked what was going on, and it turned out that the Gay Parade will be in a few days, and there's going to be a 'preparation' party - the Davie Street Block Party - tonight!

Cool!

We got to our room, had something to eat and a rest, then went out to party.

Davie Street was crowded with all sorts of people of all ages, sexes, walks of life and states of (un)dress. The kids soon caught on: "Dad, did you see that? Why is he... never mind, I'd rather not know".

There were loads of stalls selling all sorts of stuff, from raffle tickets for donations for various charities to beer and other drinks. Loads of street performers and musicians. We got free samples of a new McDonald's ice cream (instant diabetes in a cup) and enjoyed a group of Brazilian-style drummers, who were very good and had people dancing along with them. Tamar participated in a street Twisters game and got a bracelet prize as winner (there were no losers, everyone won). There was lots of music, lots of color and lots of folks all dressed up. The crosswalks at one of the intersections were even painted with the Pride flag colors!

At the end of the street they erected a stage, where drag queens performed. We didn't hear any ABBA though. Hmm.

We finally left the party late at night and went to bed, but the party went on without us.

Tomorrow it's back to Toronto.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0646s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb