save a horse ride a cowboy


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vancouver
September 1st 2006
Published: September 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

howdyhowdyhowdy

Damn im sexy
Well I am in vancouver fitting in as much as possible to my surroundings. I think I have done ok, ill Let you judge for yourselves.







Vancouver is an amazing city. I think it must be the only place in the world where you can sail, play golf and ski all in the same day. Its a shame im rubbish at all of them but i will try and learn. The city is massive with the mountains surrounding it and the sea hosting some pretty expensive harbours. People definately try and live the high life with nearly all cars being porshe or ferarri. The 1st week here has really been taken up with being reunited with old friends from Australia and the people with the funny accents (us) being shown off to parents which was quite ammusing. Cant complain mind, the food has been brilliant and free. Unfortunately this meant sight seeing was limited but we did get lost in the largest park in North America for a good few hours. Not that anyone would be suprised to hear that.









After the 1st week we decided to fly into Calgary where a couple of ranchers we know were dropping off some horses and wanted to take us to their ranch in the middle of Saskatchewan to teach us how to ride horses and shoot guns. We still have not done this yet but that will be this weekend. Instead we through horse poo around the field and I attempted to throw as much as possible at Karl (the guy I am traveling with). The ranch is in the middle of nowhere. Their back garden in 5.25 square miles of land and they claim that is a small one. Their neighour who is a 10 minute drive away has about 3 time this!!! Its difficult to comprehend how much empty space so I hope the pictures make this clear.












I think the highlight so far has to be the dressing up games we have had to endure. We visited fort walsh where the silly tourists (us) were made to dress up and pose. The mounty pictures I think you will agree are very attractive. I knew I had a calling in life and being a mounty was it. Have a good laugh at them. Everyone else did!!

We have also been made to try the good old culinary delights of the cowboy world. Calf testicles!! To be honest they were very tasty but you had to get over the fact they were claf nuts. Just look at the pictures and you wil see exactly what i mean.













The two ranches have also brought us to their largest town hosing a massive 250,000 people of which 1/8th are students for the freshers week. This has been any eye opener for sure. There is only country music out here and my two step leaves a lot to be desired especially when everyone else is in the bar throwing girls over their shoulders. I have to learn it though as it seems the only way to dance out here. Very nice and traditional.








The other main reason to come to the middle of nowhere is to buy a car/trailer. Its far cheaper out here for some reason than in places like Vancouver, as is insurance, so the plan is to drive for the next month or so back through Alberta and BC until we end up in Vancouver again just in time for some good sking and to see Vancouver in a little more detail.

And finally to finish of with to make everyone jealous, the ranchers we are living with put on a huge house party, and got it all funded by their uni. It included 3, 12 man hot tubs being delivered to the house, 3 kegs of beer and as much rye as you could drink. They then ordered 2 buses to pick all the first year kinesiology students up from an american football game and deliver them to the house and our challenge was just to get them drunk. As you can imagin not a difficult request but it was a lot of fun. Now that is how you throw a party!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

yum yumyum yum
yum yum

Eating calfs nuts


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb