Sherman's Grouse!


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vancouver
September 13th 2012
Published: September 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Meet 'Sherman'Meet 'Sherman'Meet 'Sherman'

If this needs an explanation then chances are this blog really isn't for you...
Another stunning day!

The day started with breakfast provided by our hosts. It is a very special breakfast smoothie that contained a variety of things, the only ones of which I recognised were bananas and water. It also had Hemp Hearts, literally the hearts of hemp seeds and a range of minerals, herbs, seeds and oils that really give a kick start to the day. Despite the appearance of engine oil it was surprisingly tasty and I look forward to another one.

Slow start to the day!

Caitlin was up and ready to go around 9....Reubs not so much, staggered out at 11am after a 12 hour period of true hibernation but the better for it.

Sandy insisted on a return to Whole Foods for coffee and pastries and in the end it became lunch with amazing salads except Reuben who went for the Four Cheeze Pizza. Go figure.

As part of our all in one exclusive accommodation meals and transport package, we were supplied by our most generous of hosts with a compact motor vehicle which we lovingly dubbed 'Sherman'. Easy to drive and really elevated so great for the kids to watch the world go by.

We were at Capilano Suspension Bridge a short while later. Now the bridge is great, the view is spectacular up and down the river and the setting amongst the forest beautiful. But it is just a bridge so don't get too excited. Having said that there were some people who were treating the walk across a slightly mobile bridge as on par with their first marathon - and taking just about as long to complete. Others made it a white knuckle ride as the blood drained from their fingers as they moved sloth like hand over hand along the safety railling. If this was America there would have been a lane for mobility scooters. On the other side is a nice wander through the forest and an elevated walkway amongst the tree tops across a series of short walkways linked between the trees. This was pretty good and did give a different perspective on the forest. Very well done. Back across the bridge is the cliff walk around funnily enough, the cliff, and you walk. 'Cliff Walk', clever aye! This was our favourite part. the walk way is bracketed out from the cliff face and follows the river a couple of hundred metres up stream. The view was different, just the whole persective thing, and we really enjoyed this. About $110.00 for the whole whanau which when you break it down was pretty okay.

From there we drove up to Grouse Mountain and caught the gondola to the top. Great views and amazing perspective on the Bays and lay out of Vancouver. Absolutely stunning city. With the city laid out below at the base of the hills and around the bays the hills around are covered in forest with small lakes and reservoirs interspersed. Why are all the trees in Canada? Perhaps the Canadians stole them from everyone else.

Grouse Mountain has a bunch of displays and presentations at the top. Everything from Raptor Shows (I missed this cos the little ones were tired) too amusing if predictable Lumberjack shows. A key attraction was the two bears, they were rescued a number of years ago and a large enclosure prepared for them as their new home. Bob said that they were Grizzly Bears but I said that was a bit harsh and they were probably just a bit tired. They did seem very relaxed.
Let's call it 'kids on a bridge'Let's call it 'kids on a bridge'Let's call it 'kids on a bridge'

Elderly Americans don't like it when the bridge moves do they Reuben! Maybe they should have given a little more thought to the word 'suspension' before signing up for this.

Enjoyed Grouse Mountain. Well worth the visit. Kids watched the bears for ages and were captivated by them. Clearly the inventor of the teddy bear never saw a real one. These things are very raw and very powerful and those claws are incredible. These are not creatures that should entice young minds across into dream world.

Had planned to use the photographs and run a line about how these were in the back yard but I dont think I will now.

Got back to the Pensione Eagles Rest about 6.30 pm where dinner awaited. Two tone vegetable and cheese pasta with scallops and mushrooms on a pesto jus. That's how the menu described it and it was very good indeed.

Played cards with our hosts after dinner. Really should have put money on this game. We could have paid for our trip there and then.

Locked 'Cato' out of our room last night. So he played soccer on the wooden floor outside it with a little aluminium ball. He's quite skilled.

Around 1am awoke to find Caitlin tapping on my shoulder. She needed me to come and get Cato. He doesn't get 'Not now Cato'
Cliff walk Cliff walk Cliff walk

This was our preferred part. A walkway attached to the cliff face following the river up stream.
unless its Peter Sellers saying it, so according to Caitlin, this kitten was jumping all over her wanting to play and fight. Now the idea was great, even the venue was okay....but the timing was well off! Again Cato was relegated to the hallway and slumbers resumed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Bugs!Bugs!
Bugs!

Sandy and some little bug(#£%)s! Everyone happy...
'How you doing?''How you doing?'
'How you doing?'

Really more of a 'why don't you bring that damn camera over here fella and I'll show you another use for it!'
Rodin's 'Thinking Bear'Rodin's 'Thinking Bear'
Rodin's 'Thinking Bear'

'I just don't know...would a tree falling in the woods make a sound if no one was there to hear it? Does the utterance of an audible sound have a prerequisite for an entity with an auditory sense to be in attendance? Is the conclusion found at home within Occams Razor?
What you do when you've got time on your hands!What you do when you've got time on your hands!
What you do when you've got time on your hands!

Very impressive. All started when he carved his initials in a tree!
The bridge from the Cliff walkThe bridge from the Cliff walk
The bridge from the Cliff walk

Stunning setting. These Canadians have really got this tree thing nailed!


14th September 2012

Bears and all
You all look great. Sounds like you are having a great time already. Cato and Camo - those names are pretty close! Luv to you all - big hugs.

Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0718s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb