contrasts


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vancouver
October 9th 2005
Published: October 10th 2005
Edit Blog Post

The Alaska State Ferry was great. The outside and inside looked conventional aside from the goldwallpapered, bulb covered bar, which we went to once. We took up our positions in the front cabin. Originally we had planned to sleep out on deck, in the "solarium". So called because of a few heating strips up on the ceiling. Rain and cold winds soon changed our minds and we retreated downstairs with the more sensible Alaskans. Most of our time onboard was spent reading, snoozing and wildlife watching. With persistence and the help of loudspeaker announcements by the captain we saw about 5 whales swimming alongside the ship.

On a stop along the way, at Ketchikan, we stopped at a river creek running alongside a busy road. For the first time we saw salmon jumping upstream to reach their spawning ground. It seemed an impossible task, though a few valiantly launched themselves into the air. I wonder if any of them made it. Back on board we continued to eat, snooze and look out. Time being interrupted by the captain announcing that owners of dogs stranded in cars could take them out for quick fifteen minute strolls around the car deck - with disinfectant and bags provided for cleaning up any mess left behind.

After 3 days on board we arrived at Bellingham. The greyhound across to Canada proved an exciting trip. First we were stopped at Canadian customs because a passenger on board our bus was being arrested. Probably for smuggling drugs or firearms according to the guy behind us. Then, for those of you interested, we saw Carl Cox leave on his giant tour bus. Aftera quick stare at Mr Cox and a quick chat with his tour manager we boarded our bus and crossed over to Vancouver, Canada.

Our time in Vancouver was interesting. One of the most unusual aspects was the stark difference between neighbourhoods. A street lined with converted warehouses, chic designer shops and candlelit restaurants would run parallel to a run down, drug addict infested street. Hip young things verses drug blinded wondering homeless men and women. A real shock to the senses. It confirmed to me that I preferred the wildness and wilderness of Alaska in place of big city lights and the consequences of urban living.

We escaped to Vancouver Island for a few days for a change in scenery. Victoria, the capital of Vancouver Island, was quaint and contained. At Fisherman's Wharf we found a houseboat community, a bit like ours, and great fish and chips. Totem poles also seemed to rise out of nowhere. A colourful reminder of the natives that once inhabited Victoria. Victoria really was a pleasant place. With a dog, a couple of kids and a log wood cabin by the water - it would make a fine place to live.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0752s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb