We've Arrived!!!


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vancouver
September 21st 2005
Published: September 21st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Salmon CandySalmon CandySalmon Candy

We weren't brave enough to try the "Wild Salmon Candy!!!" ..... what the???
Hello all from Vancouver!!

Well we've arrived and are having a great time - it has been an eventful first week!

Things started off on a very interesting note.

Day 1
Morning
Bum (1st Canadian encountered):"Got any change?"
Mark: "Nah, sorry mate"
Bum: "How about a hand gun so I can blow your head off!!"

WELCOME TO CANADA!!

Afternoon
3 guys: Pinned, face to the concrete and trussed up like pigs
Plain Clothes Cop: "You've just been read your rights... DO YOU WANT A LAWYER?!"
OK....

Day 2
Morning
Coffee Shop: Tables tipped, patrons fled, police inside
Hmm......
Afternoon
Legitimate Street Salesman: "Wanna buy a VCR... $10?"
Mark (Thinking): Does that come with a waranty?

OK.. this all sounds pretty dramatic (like an episode of cops), but it all became clear once we realised we had inadvertantly wandered on to the wrong side of the tracks (Our hostel was in the roughest part of town!). We have since learnt from other travellers with similar experiences that this is not the place to be!

But don't fear, we have since relocated to more hospitable territory where Canadians are friendly and VCRs are $100 (and yes, they do come with a waranty).

But really Vancouver seems like a great city. Its easy to get around, weathers nice (so far) and the mountains are an amazing backdrop.

We've lined up an apartment in a leafy street that has 2 squirrells!!

Have met some lovely travellers living here, who have been really helpfull with stuff like places to live, setting up bank accounts, where to work and the art of tipping. They've also taken us out to a couple of nice pubs where we have enjoyed some tasty local beers.

Been to three interviews with a company who looks after the IT for many ski resorts - so fingers crossed (if I get the job there may be perks!!!)

Later
Mark & Mel

Advertisement



21st September 2005

The Right side of town
Glad to hear you've swapped the $10 VCRs for squirrels and nice pubs, very wise choice! And good luck with the job interviews, keep us posted ...
21st September 2005

Yous are wierdos!
I reckon the other side of town sounded much more interesting! Have a ball you guys. Brad and I are taking care of your poor old ma and pa, Marky. Let me know if there are any hot blokes over there too and I might pay you a visit. Ha Ha! xxx
21st September 2005

Nothing like a little walk on the wild side to start an overseas adventure! Good to hear you are both well and things are falling into place with apartments and job interviews...
21st September 2005

Ah...you ended up in Gastown for a few days? I drove past it, saw the hundred of junkies and was glad to be staying in North Van. Don't worry, it'll rain soon, it's vancouver!
21st September 2005

Shit, it's all happening
Hey! Glad you are having a good time! Oh the sqirrels and strange Canadians! Good luck with jobs etc. Apartment sounds good - nice guest room for visitors????? -EL
21st September 2005

Hey guys - glad you've arrived safely (somewhat) The white sand looks pretty good too! Don't they have DVD's over there?????

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb