Grouse Mountain


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vancouver
July 10th 2021
Published: July 12th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Grouse Mountain

Grouse Mountain is located on the unceded territories of the Coast Salish peoples: the Squamish, Musqueaum, and Tsleil-Waututh First Nations. Rising 1,250 metres (4,100 feet) above Vancouver.

The Mountain was named by the first recorded hikers to reach the summit in October 1894. The hardy group of hikers slogged through snow, scrambled over rock and up through the dense forest. Along the way, they hunted a Blue Grouse and honoured the plentiful game bird by calling the Peak "Grouse Mountain".

In 1949 the world's first double chairlift was built, replacing a two to three hour hike from the base of the mountain. The first chairlift for The Cut was built in 1951 and, for the first time, skiers and visitors could reach the mountain in a two-stage trip.

Patrick had taken the Grouse Grind and hiked up the mountain which I believe he said took him one & half hours.!

Our first visit was to the Bear Pond we found both Grinder and Coola, having an afternoon nap amongst the trees, these two male grizzly bears were orphaned in 2001 & now live peacefully in their natural surroundings.

We passed by the area
where a lumberjack show would be taking place and this brought back memories of our visit to Grouse Mountain over 20 years ago,

The large chain saw wood carvings along the pathways were as I remembered them.

We ventured behind the the chairlift station where we had stunning views of Vancouver, the Mountains & beyond as Patrick waved to a fellow voyager in Seattle.

There was time to return to the bear pond and what a treat that, the bears had woken from their nap, one was cooling off under the log in the water but the other one was delighting us with several postcard opportunities.

Another great tour with http://www.heygo.com


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement








Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.1339s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1022.7kb