Seeing more of Vancouver


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vancouver » YVR
June 10th 2018
Published: June 12th 2018
Edit Blog Post

House in Vancouver House in Vancouver House in Vancouver

It's almost purple and yellow
First on our agenda today (after another lovely breakfast downstairs), was the laundry! Walked to the coin laundry recommended by the hotel, and realised that just one block from where we are staying on Robson St, one of the main shopping streets in Vancouver, was a quiet, residential neighbourhood, with trees, apartment buildings, and even some houses. Managed to fumble our way through the washing machine and dryer nightmare, and were back at the hotel (with clean clothes) by early afternoon.

Our plan then was to go to Flyover Canada, and then (hoping the clouds lifted a little bit) up the Vancouver Lookout Tower.

Walked down to Canada Place (the tourist zone on the waterfront), saw 2 cruise ships in port, and bought our tickets for Flyover Canada. I thought this was a movie about Canada similar to an Imax. And it was. Sort of. Figured it was a little different when they made us put our bags in pockets under the seats and wear seatbelts! It is a simulated flight "ride", so you see wonderful Canadian scenery whilst "flying" over it, including getting sprayed with water over Niagara Falls. Not quite what we expected, but really well done. Scenery was beautiful, mountains, icebergs, autumn colours, and Niagara Falls. ( www.flyovercanada.com )

Then walked to Vancouver Lookout Tower, bought tickets, then queued - one escalator out of service, one elevator out of service and bathrooms closed. Not a good start. Queue was not too long. glass front elevator goes up 170m in 40 seconds. Views are great, and clouds lifted over some of the mountains. Couldn't see our hotel, too may taller buildings in the way. Can really see how "green" Vancouver is with all the trees on the streets and roofs of bulidings.

Back to the hotel for dinner downstairs in the cafe, have had some lovely food here, and tonight was no exception. But now we have to pack! On a plane again tomorrow. Have really enjoyed Vancouver (weather notwithstanding - 4 seasons in a day, except summer)!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

The Drop (sculpture)The Drop (sculpture)
The Drop (sculpture)

Apparently it's a giant raindrop!
Cruise ship in Canada PlaceCruise ship in Canada Place
Cruise ship in Canada Place

Heading to Alaska we think


Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.049s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0501s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb