Time to say goodbye


Advertisement
Published: July 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

I can hardly believe how quick six months have gone by. It's only a couple of days now until i fly back to Heathrow. It's pretty scary thinking about going back, facing reality and getting back into the real world. 😞
It's also exciting to know i'll see everyone again and i have the prospect of all the new things that will be in my life.

Anyway, enough about coming back as i've had loads of great experiences since i last wrote. I was in Vancouver last time and then spent a few days in Whistler in a log cabin/hostel with a great hot tub and a very chilled out vibe. Instead of all the white knuckle activities i'd intended to do i took a few days exploring whistler town and doing very little else.

I then travelled on to Lake Shuscwapp, Banff, Jasper and Kelowna on a week long trip that took me all round the Rockies. The Rockies were awesome, i saw a grizzly bear on the first and second day and then on the third i saw a black bear with her cub and i was really close to them.

In Jasper we stayed in a hostel in the middle of nowhere with no running water (we had to use a well) and a really cute campfire at night. The Rockies themselves were really spectacular, the pictures speak for themselves.

On the way back towards Kelowna the bus i was on stopped at a flea market and we did a two dollar gift exchange. The idea was to buy someone else a cheap gift that they would have to wear for the rest of the day. I ended up having to wear a Darth Vader helmet and the rest of the day entailed going on a winery tour. It's really tough having to try wines and keep a straight face when you know you look like the lord of the death star. I didn't, however, feel as stupid as another guy on my tour, Alex, who ended up wearing a nighty/dress (he was also going commando as being a poor traveller he'd run out of clean clothes) that turned out to be see-though. It was hilarious.

In Banff, i was out one night and saw a German girl i recognised, i couldn't quite place her so we got talking and it turns out we met the day i went dolphin swimming in Kaikoura in New Zealand. She was on the same boat as me three months ago and we joked at the time, when we learnt we'd both be in Canada in june, that maybe we'd bump into each other in Canada. It's funny just how small the world really is.

So it's been a hectic couple of weeks, especially as the first of July was Canada day so there were big celebrations and fireworks here in Vancouver for that. So now it's just a wind down for the last few days until heading you back and seeing you all.

It'll be sad to fly home but i'm so looking forward to catching up with everyone and leaving the world of hostels and backpacks behind.

See you all soon!

x x x




Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb