Day 7: Vancouver, British Columbia - This Bridge is making me dizzy!


Advertisement
Published: December 15th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday, August 9th, 2016

Day 7: Vancouver, British Columbia - This Bridge is making me dizzy!



Today, my sister, Renata and I decided to visit the Capilano Suspension Bridge Park. The Capilano Suspension Bridge is a 140 meter long suspension bridge that crosses the Capilano River. Definitely, not for those afraid of heights!



When we first arrived at Capilano we were greeting by a large collection of totem poles including a longhouse and a welcome totem pole. We learned about its unique history by taking a history tour. Did you know that Capilano is the anglicized name of Kai’palano, which means “beautiful river”? Kia’palano, was also the name of a great Squamish Chief who lived in the area during the early 1800s.



After the history tour it was time to cross the bridge. As the bridge wobbled, I started to feel a slight case of motion sickness. Luckily it passed as soon as I arrived on the other side of the bridge.



On a nature tour of the park, we learned that the Capilano Suspension Bridge is situated in a West Coast Rainforest. The large Douglas-Fir trees in the forest are often able to survive forest fires due to their thick bark. They are also called the bully of the rainforest. They do not like to be around other trees. They even shoot sap at other trees so they will burn faster during Forest fires.



On the contrary, the western Red Cedar has a different reputation. It is known as the “Tree of Life.” Because of its durability and light weight, it was used extensively by the natives, including the building of their totem poles.



After the interesting nature walk, it was time for the Treetops Adventure. The Treetops Adventure consists of seven small suspension bridges supported by Douglas-Fir trees. The metal supports attached to the Douglas- Fir trees are raised every year as the Douglas-Fir grows.



After meeting a bird and walking Cliffside on the Cliff Walk, it was time to head back to downtown Vancouver, to get ready for our cousin Ryan and Petrinas’ post wedding bash.



We took an accidental detour to UBC and walked around the Kitilano area before heading to the Bimini house for the Post Wedding Bash. We were the first to arrive at the Bimini House but not for long as the Bride and Groom came shortly after and more guests started piling in. Finally, my brothers and cousins arrived.



Renata and I decided to leave early to take the last Sky Train back to our accommodation in Surrey. Tomorrow is the start of our Alaska Cruise! Land of the midnight sun, here we come!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

UBCUBC
UBC

Everything was closed
Kitsilano Beach Kitsilano Beach
Kitsilano Beach

Walking around Kitsilano Area before the Post Wedding Bash


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0243s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb