The Grouse Grind: A Canadian fitness test


Advertisement
Published: August 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Monday July 8

We decided to take it a slow and calming day. Slept in, had breakfast and chilled around the house backyard, reading, swimming in the pool and relaxing. Kyle did a bunch of errands, he cleaned the basement of his old stuff and did some closet shopping to take new-old clothes to China and he also went to the bank. We had a light dinner and watch a movie at home and crashed for the night.

Tuesday July 9

A little information about The Grind in Grouse Mountain, Vancouver.

Grouse Grind

Region: The North Shore. Difficulty: Difficult. Time: 1.5 - 2 hours Distance: 2.9km. Elevation Gain: 853 meters
Season: June - September. Camping: No. Dog Friendly: No. Public Transit: Yes. Approx. 30 minutes from Vancouver

The Grouse Grind is Vancouver's most used trail and is renowned for its challenge in requiring physical strength and endurance in order to make it to the top. In less than 3km, the trail climbs more than 850m. Due to the large number of people that use this trail, primarily for exercise, maintenance workers have had to build wooden stairs on much of the path in order to prevent further erosion from overuse.


The trail begins just east (right) of the Grouse Mountain Gondola in an area with posts set up for hikers to use for stretching their arms and legs before the hike. Walk past the gate and over the small bridge and immediately begin your uphill ascent. The trail levels out until you reach a sign at a fork in the trail. Go left at the fork and continue your uphill climb making your way over rocks, roots, and wooden steps. After 15 minutes or so, you cross a small bridge over a dried-up creek. It's only another 10 minutes to the first quarter mark.
Each quarter mark is clearly shown with large signs and can be a relief or an indication on whether to continue or not. If you are struggling at the first quarter mark or have run out of water, it's probably a better idea to walk back down as there is still a long, grueling way to go and you could potentially run into some serious problems if you choose to continue.



For those continuing, the trail weaves its way uphill over more wooden steps. The third quarter is the steepest with the trail traversing over rock in some sections. The fourth quarter is also quite steep with some sections containing very large steps. Keep going, you're almost there.



Once at the top, you have earned bragging rights by saying you have completed 'The Grind'. Walk towards the Grouse Mountain Chalet and up the stairs to the entrance. Just inside, you can buy your ticket for the Gondola ride before heading back down, have a beer at the bar, or wander around the top of Grouse Mountain to check out the events or scenery. (http://www.vancouvertrails.com/trails/grouse-grind/)

Mt. Grouse Grind

Today is the day for the real Vancouver´s fit test. Today we are going to climbed Mt Grouse Grind! I had been warned by Kyle´s mom and dad and sister, who hiked it in 45 minutes, that is an extremely steep hike, with uneven and big steps not good for short people, but I wanted to do it so Kyle and I dressed in our hiking gear set of on the bus, sky train, ferry and bus to hiked it and conquered it! The first bus ride was short a couple of blocks away from the house and close to the sky train station which was built recently, Kyle had actually never been in it. When we reached the downtown station we walked a few meters to find the ferry and hopped on. I realized my camera had no battery so my ipod touch saved the day! The ferry ride was pretty cool and smooth and the views of the city, mountains and seaside were stunning. We then took another bus to the starting point of the hike. All along the way to the starting point were signs that warn people about the severity of the mountain and the importance o stretching and dressing appropriate for it. We did some stretching and were ready. Kyle set up his new watch chronometer and we set up a 3-hour limit. I started very slow and steady because I did not want to get really tired and not b able to finish it. The trail was very well maintained, rocky, sandy and with some tree branches that served as steps and a few man-built concrete and wood steps. Tall trees, a lot of wild vegetation and a few ferns surrounded the whole. It was a sunny and warm day but as you were in the woods the air was a bit cool, however as soon as the steep hill started you began to warm up and sweat it all up! The first ¼ of the way was very long in meters , but it was also the less steep and even though you walked a long time you did not get to climb much. It took us about 40 minutes to get to tat mark. We continued the way up with Kyle on the lead a few meters away. By the time we reached the ½ mark I was sweating tremendously and was about to give up, but then I look back and thought oh well I have already done halfway and after eating a power bar I pushed myself up. So far we were hiking for almost 1hour and a 15 minutes. We realized that the ¾ quarter was actually the steepest but also the shortest and therefore I could keep up with the pace I had at the beginning. Kyle went up ahead and got to the top about 30 minutes before I did and when I got to the top I could tell why it is called the Vancouver fit test, but also it was so worth it. The views of the city were spectacular and stunning. We could see a 360-degree view of the city with the snow-capped mountains, the sea and the downtown area. It was absolutely beautiful!

We walked a bit and took some photos and then being very hungry went to eat lunch. After lunch we wandered around, saw some bears at the enclave of the park and hiked a little bit more to the top of the ski lift to see some more views. When we reached the top of the mountain it was like being on a cloud absolutely beautiful. We took the lift down and got some souveniers and then the gondola to the bus stop and rode the bus back to the ferry port, back to the sky train to head to a place that I have to say was even more beautiful: Queeny Park.

Queen Elizabeth Park

Queen Elizabeth Park, Vancouver’s horticultural jewel, is a major draw for floral display enthusiasts and view-seekers, and as a popular backdrop for wedding photos. At 152 metres above sea level, it’s the highest point in Vancouver and makes for spectacular views of the park, city, and mountains on the North Shore.

The 52-hectare park is home to the stunning Bloedel Conservatory. There is also a gorgeously landscaped quarry garden, the arboretum with its collection of exotic and native trees, sculptures including one by internationally renowned artist Henry Moore, and diverse recreational offerings such as tennis, lawn bowling and pitch & putt. The park is also the perfect setting for fine dining at Seasons in the Park, a picnic or stargazing!

With works of art among the natural beauty of gardens, evergreens and redwoods, there is plenty to see in Queen Elizabeth Park.


Quarry Gardens






The main Quarry Garden is just west of the Bloedel Conservatory and offers a moment of high drama when first approached and viewed from the park's rim.

The once massive excavation is now home to specimen trees, shrubs, perennials, bulbs and annuals selected for their foliage, form and flower. A stream and cascading waterfall add cool comfort and variety to the artfully contrived landscape.

Located below and adjacent to Seasons in the Park restaurant is the smaller or North Quarry Garden. In contrast to the large quarry, this is a "dry" garden and has many oriental horticultural influences including an arching bridge over a stony streambed.


Arboretum






Canada's first civic arboretum was created along the park's north and north-western sections. The first plantings were done in 1949 on the north slopes by a group of Junior Forest Wardens.

They began by planting blocks of timber species such as ponderosa pine, subalpine spruce, and Douglas fir. Most of the larger trees are about 60 years old. Among these is the coast redwood, which can grow to be one of the tallest trees in the world.

There are now about 1500 trees from across Canada, along with many exotic species, creating a beautiful landscape.

Rose Garden



Located on the south-western perimeter of the park, the Rose Garden was built in 1967 to commemorate Canada’s Centennial. It contains many rose varieties including hardy hybrids such as the Parkland and Explorer series developed in Saskatchewan.





Public Art



Be sure to see Photo Session, a bronze figurative sculpture of a man photographing three people, by J. Seward Johnson, Junior. This was a gift to the park from the artist in 1984.
The park's most famous sculpture is Knife Edge-Two Piece by internationally renowned British sculptor Henry Moore. Located on the plaza to the east of Bloedel Conservatory, it was donated to the Park Board by Prentice Bloedel. The bronze sculpture is one of three copies; the others can be found in front of the Houses of Parliament in London, England, and at the Rockefeller Estate in New York.

Four sculptures by Cameron Kerr, from Campbell River, BC, are located in the plaza. The marble sculptures were commissioned by the City of Vancouver and are on temporary display outside the Conservatory.

Fountains / Plaza




The fabulous Dancing Waters fountain is located adjacent to Bloedel Conservatory and is attractive both day and night. It is comprised of 70 jets of water using 85,000 litres of recirculating water.

The fountain operates on a program to vary the heights of the jet and is an integral part of the new (2007) QE Plaza—built atop Vancouver’s principal drinking water reservoir.

Painters’ Corner




Visiting the Painters’ Corner in spring and summer is like wandering through an outdoor art gallery. Artists have their landscape pieces on display, and all work is for sale (and is the original work of the artist on-site).

Learn more about becoming a Painters' Corner artist

















We got to the sky train station King Edwards and walked a few blocks up to the park. My first impression of the park was a big and wide green space and los of bushy and tall trees. At first I thought it was just like this and people would come here to have picnic play a ball game or simply relaxed. However as we walked more into the park, I started to see lots of flower gardens and walkways and then we saw a small waterfall and a little creek surrounded by gardens, well trimmed grass and beautiful walkways surrounded by flowers. No wonder it is called Queen Elizabeth Park, it sure resembled a queen´s garden! We walked for a bit through the garden walkways and then got to a water park with a small pool. Close to the area were a small golf course and some Frisbee gold to play. Being active all day we decided to go back and play some Frisbee on the grass. It was so cool and a great place to relax after a long outdoorsy day. We took the bus back and decided to get some light dinner , but then Kyle´s dad suggested an Indian restaurant so we got the car and treated ourselves a well-deserved delicious Indian meal.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 28


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0283s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb