Day 3 & 4


Advertisement
Published: July 16th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Day 3:



Leaving Woss after a great breakfast we headed west on winding gnarly gravel forestry roads. Stopping at the first bridge out of town we could see a large school of salmon swimming upstream to spawn - an amazing sight.

Even though seemingly deserted ww had to be alert on these roads as there was the occasional huge logging truck coming towards us. 14-16 foot wide & as high as some quarry trucks (30 foot). The weather was intermittent drizzle making some slippery patches on the road in some places. We spotted 3 deer near or on the road & Keith spotted a Black Bear that scampered into the bush and then later another that decided to run alongside him threatening to dive in front of his moving bike at any stage – fortunately it eventually dived into the bush.

Travelling North & after stopping at a recommended tourist spot, the Eternal Fountain where we did a short bush walk then continued on logging roads which gradually turned into an overgrown track taking us right into Port Hardy – the biggest town near the top of the Island. After a quick lunch we followed a fast wide winding gravel Road heading North West then west passing a point where the road reaches the northernmost road on Vancouver Island.

Coffee at Winter Harbour then we took photos as this was the most Western point in Canada.This was the culmination of the TCAT that Bryan & Keith started 3 years ago at the most eastern point in Newfoundland - 19000kms later (9000kms for me) that completed the entire TCAT.

Retracing our steps on a slightly different route we circled Port Hardy a few times before finding accommodation in the Back packers hostel.



DAY 4:

Really a transit day as we returned to Nanaimo by the main road to catch a ferry back to Vancouver. 400kms with another breakfast at Woss.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.288s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 18; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0966s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb