Canada Day


Advertisement
Published: August 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Town's buzzing - entertaining day, lots going on - harbour festival (which charged admission fee - everyone who knows me will know that im a tight ass, needless to say we didnt go to that one), Jazz fest & various other Canada day entertainments. We didnt do much other than people watch (cheapest option) followed by chilling out at the Jazz fest which was wicked as it was outside and it was a beautiful day. Getting a sun tan whilst listening to jazz def recommend that one, as our Auz friends would say AWESOME.
Evening time was different, while the city was getting geared up for a big-style celebration (and we MEAN BIG STYLE - check out the photo below), we decided to indulge in nachos !! It wasnt just nachos with cheese, it was layer upon layer upon layer of nachos & cheese. And did we mention it was in an Irish pub ? YEAP we've travelled nearly 20,000 miles to eat nachos in an Irish pub in Canada !!!???? Go figure.
The fireworks later on that night were lame - 8 minutes (Dips counted) of coloured sky and that was it - but the Canadians seem to love it !

July 3'rd - TOFINO
Tofino is a place everyone seems to love, but if your not into surfing there's not much else to do - so we went Whale watching. It lasted about 3 hours and we saw bald-headed Eagles & Eaglets (their babies), a pod of grey whales, sea otters, porpoises, seals, a humpback whale & not forgetting a puffin. Seeing all this wildlife was really cool but we got to wear these really big bright orange suits with fishermen jackets on top and we got to ride in a VERY FAST rib which really made the trip worth while. (See the pics of the 2 plonkers below)
And if that wasnt enough wildlife, later on that day we saw a black bear on the opposite side of the road while doing a 14km trek.

The following day we decided to go on a big tree trail on Mears Island. We loved the whale watching boat ride so much we thought we'd go on another boat ride. Mears Island is one of the largest red cedar tree rain forest in the WORLD !!! Many trees are more than 1500 years old, yeap another auz AWESOME !!

Vancouver:

After Tofino we made our way to Nanaimo where we stayed for 2 nights, it was a nice place but not alot to do. So we then made our way back to Vancouver & did Stanley park by bike which was fantastic i definitely recommend doing Stanley Park if your ever in Vancouver. Its a huge park/forest at the top of Vancouver - So there are nice parts of Vancouver. Unfortunately we dont have any photos to show as my camera decided to pack up !! all sorted now thou. Another wicked spot is Granville Island, it has a huge market - and you know how much i love my markets !!! oh and lots of places to eat too.
For a couple of nights we stayed at Mands Friends house as it was just outside Vancouver. It was nice to get to a place where we didnt have to worry about waking up at a certain time and packing/unpacking - it was GREAT to sit in front of a TV again but we did make it out to White rock, which is a nice little waterfront area with lots of bars & restaurants.

So all in all we would give Canada 8/10 considering it was our 1'st country !! I mean we have another 11 more countries to try out !!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



17th August 2006

Yeah but...
... I saw a vauxhall nova in Dudley.... lucky, you're so damn lucky!

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0569s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb