Victoria and Vancouver Island Day 1


Advertisement
Published: October 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Up early again and off to the Ferry. We were somewhat concerned that the hour and a half long Ferry ride might be a problem for me who can't even ride in the back of a car without going green around the gills, but I insisted that I'd be fine as long as I was outside. Mr Weston wasn't allowed on deck so he had to spend his time in the tiny, very smelly, very hairy animal room, which I'm pretty sure is what would have been used as the Brig back in the day. Horrible little metal room. Martin and I went on deck to enjoy the scenery. It was a little cold out on the deck especially in the front where there was nothing to shelter you from the wind and elements. The sun was out though and the mountains were looming and magnificent. I grew up near mountains, but these put even my hometown to shame. These were the types of mountains where the snow never melts no matter how hot it gets in the summer. The White mountains made the water seem even more blue. It looked absolutely freezing. And contrary to everyone's beliefs, I was fine the entire time. Not sick at all. Ha!

When we finally docked in Victoria the weather had turned warm again. The wind had died down and the sun felt nice on our now windswept faces. We walked around the town, marveling at how British and "Victorian" everything looked. Go figure, right? The two most impressive buildings in the city were the Capital Building which looked like a proper British Palace and the Empress hotel, which was mostly impressive because the amount of ivy that had managed to grow over it in 100 years.

After checking into our hotel, we found a nice cafe that did burgers and sweet potato fries in addition to loads of take away foods like mac and cheese and lasagna. The burgers were delicious. I hadn't had a burger since moving to England since they wouldn't know a good burger from a shoe. I'm sure I must have taken in about 4000 calories that day between the burger, fries, and totally unnecessary but delicious strawberry milkshake (another thing they can't do in England).

After lunch we wandered down to the beach with Weston to let him run around a bit. Sadly, he coudn't come off his leash the way ours get to, but he seemed to enjoy himself anyway.

For dinner we headed back to the burger place and doubled up on the sweet potato fries and milkshakes. No wonder I was getting fat. But hell, what are vacations for?


To view the full set of photos from our Canada and Portland trip see our site on Flickr
Click here


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.032s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb