Ketchikan, Alaska to Victoria, British Columbia : August 1, Day 26


Advertisement
Published: August 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Not a Bad PalaceNot a Bad PalaceNot a Bad Palace

The King of Floonia eyes some new real estate: Parliament, British Columbia.

What's hot: Deep relaxation


What's not: Long day at sea


Travel lesson of the day: We live in a t-shirt nation.



from Kathy:



From a Ketchikan departure at noon on July 31 until noon on August 1, we traveled 470 miles at a speed of more than 20 knots. Nonetheless, we were still hours away from our last port visit in Victoria, British Columbia. The mood on the ship changed from laid-back to last-day—people lining up to review their bills, the high-priced art show was packed away. The kids slept until 1 p.m. Paul confessed he was bored.

I would have been bored, too, but for the amount of time I spent blogging. I am grateful for the good feedback--I'm certain that the writing made me pay more attention than I would have otherwise.

The writing also kept me from dwelling on the the fact that it was 7 p.m before we made our four-hour stop at Victoria, British Columbia, the last stop of the cruise. By the time we got there, we were more than 24 hours underway.

Victoria, I read somewhere, has been named one of the
Victoria: Parliament at NightVictoria: Parliament at NightVictoria: Parliament at Night

Are they using solar power to run these lights!?
world’s ten most beautiful cities. True enough, if you stick to the waterfront district around the parliament building. Victoria is like a giant British botanical park combined with the standard tourist main street of t-shirt shops and brand-name outlets. Ice cream cones are as much as $7CN.

The four of us walk until we realize that in four hours, there is nothing we can discover that we haven’t already seen along the way. The same t-shirts we saw in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan, are here—just displaying new words: Victoria, British Columbia. We have become a t-shirt nation, I do believe.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb