Victoria via Sun Peaks & Vancouver


Advertisement
Published: June 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Victoria - 20th June

Seems a long time since I had access to the internet so I am writing this in our last hitel before embarking on the cruise on sunday.

14 June - Jasper

Had a free day to wander Jasper - which we did. A lot of the group did the floating raft down the Athabasca river. We walked into Jasper which has a small population about 4400, the walk took us around the lake where the hotel is located. Jasper is about 5k to the centre - stocked up with lunch saw the VIA train which goes to the coast and wandered back to see the rafters shhot the bridge and get some pics. Had lunch on the bridge, watching the elk and calves. On the way to Jasper saw a bull elk with BIG antlers, good photo and on the way back photographed a mule deer. The wild life is amazing - its the number of people thats the problem.

15 June - Transfer to Sun Peaks.

Long day, but a short stop at Mount Robson on the trans canadian highway where the sun shone. We had a group photo with the mountain as the back drop. I think Mount Robson is the tallest peak in the Rockies. Stopped at Clearwater for lunch (The Painted Turtle) didn't see any only Romanians & Japanese. We arrived late afternoon at Sun Peaks, mainly a ski resort but being influenced now by summer coach parties en route to where-ever. Whilst we were restricted to only a couple of restaurants after the extortionate prices of the previous two hotels, the meals were good value for money. Lin says that this was her best meal so far. (Scallops followed by seared Tuna). Mine wasn't far behind.

16 June - Transfer to Vancouver

Big journey again (250 miles). Lovely day (for a day in the coach). Comfort break at a place called Merritt, a glorified truck stop, not to be mentioned again. Onward to a town called Hope for lunch. Deli lunch, and a walk round the town, Lin posted some cards (hope Hope is stamped on the card). Hope is just another railhead town when the Canadian Pacific highway was being forged, its now claim to fame is an artist who carves commissioned artwork from trees with a chain saw. Some good pics. (Sorry I can't upload them).
Vancouver appeared on the horiszon at about 3pm and we arrived at the Marriot Pinnacle at about 4.15pm. At least on the way to Vancouver I at least saw some dairy cows.
After all the beautiful Rockies we are down to earth with a bump, the city is vibrant, bustling & very much alive. The hotel is close to the banking centre and a block from the port where we sail from on Sunday. From our room we can see seaplanes taking off one after another. We walked to the harbour after settling in. People running, cycling, skate boarding & roller blading around the harbour. Ther is a lot of building work getting ready for the Winter Olympics for 2010 but the people are so friendly. We managed to find a bar/grill for food called Earls on Top for dinner. Full of young people drinking weird cocktails. Good for people watching. A leisurely dinner and back to the hotel ready for our sight seeing trip in the morning.

Thats all for now, I'll write a bit more tomorrow while Lin's packing for the cruise. We are both looking forward to a few days without being on a coach.

Lots of love Alastair & Lin x

Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0236s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb