Our last days in Canada


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Osoyoos
September 20th 2007
Published: September 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Great sculptures in OsoyoosGreat sculptures in OsoyoosGreat sculptures in Osoyoos

We were impressed with the metal scultures in the area. This was one of several that we saw as we explored the area.
Sun Sept 16: Camped near Penticton, BC at Twin Lakes Golf and RV Park. It’s at a high enough elevation that my ears pop 3 times driving up from the valley. Full hookup $28.

Mon Sept 17: George golfed. Dinner in town at Saigon on Main. We ordered the combination for two, as it was our first time eating at a Vietnamese restaurant. This way we could try a variety of dishes. I also ordered the hot and sour soup, as I’m still looking for the perfect combination (since my favorite place closed). We both enjoyed the meal and would be repeat customers if we were in this area.

Tues Sept 18: Drove further south to Osoyoos, BC. We’re less than 2 miles to Washington state, but I wanted to see this area before entering the lower 48. This is a desert area. It looks like we are more in the southwest of the US than in British Columbia. Even the architecture is with the tile roofs and adobe walls. Nk’Mip Desert is an extension of a series of deserts that extends south into Mexico. The only areas that are green are irrigated. This entire Okanagan River Valley is filled with vineyards and fruit trees. The surrounding mountains are all dry and at this time of year the grasses and shrubs are brown.

We’re camped on Lake Osoyoos at the Nk’Mip Campground. We have a nice view and full hookups and WiFi. This is only the second time we have ever had to pay extra because of the dogs. It cost $38 for our one night here.

We went to the Nk’Mip Winery for their tour. We were surprised that it cost $5 per person for the 30-40 minute tour. The tasting room is free, so we opted to read the signs and George tasted and I smelled some wine. Then we went over to the Dessert Cultural Centre. The AAA Tour Book had admission as $7, but when we got there we found that it was $12. Unfortunately we only had an hour until they closed at 4:30, so it didn’t seem worth it. We then drove out to see the circle ponds. It was free and a beautiful drive to get there.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Mineral circlesMineral circles
Mineral circles

This is a healing area and each of the circles has a specific item it treats.


Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0186s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb